Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP

Options
  • 22-11-2008 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

I recently broke my laptop, and went back to using my desk top.It tried to download a windows service pack which didnt load correctly and since then it is running really slow and jamming.

I loaded Norton and did a full scan but it found no viruses.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭barnacle

Use linux :D

Or else reinstall windows???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What happened with the service pack update? Did it restore the previous pack? That is most likely the root of the issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Can you go into safe mode and using the Restore function, revert back to a previous days setup?

What's the operating system by the way, XP or Vista?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Ruu wrote: »
    What happened with the service pack update? Did it restore the previous pack? That is most likely the root of the issue.

Ive no idea.....not up to speed with computers im afraid

Restart the system.

As soon as it restarts, keep pressing F8 till you get a black screen with white text

Of the options there chose safe mode. (or if the function is available to you clearly, a function ability to use "System Restore")

If you get in at safe mode (I'm guessing your using Vista - no idea!) go to "all programs" then "Accessssories" then "System Tools" then finally, "System Restore"

Look for the feature (its easy to find) that gives you the option to revert back to a prior setup.

Revert back. to a date that will appear on a calendar, let it change the settings.
    Eventually when done, restart and let system start up as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Biggins wrote: »
    Restart the system.

As soon as it restarts, keep pressing F8 till you get a black screen with white text

Of the options there chose safe mode. (or if the function is available to you clearly, a function ability to use "System Restore")

If you get in at safe mode (I'm guessing your using Vista - no idea!) go to "all programs" then "Accessssories" then "System Tools" then finally, "System Restore"

Look for the feature (its easy to find) that gives you the option to revert back to a prior setup.

Revert back. to a date that will appear on a calendar, let it change the settings.
    Eventually when done, restart and let system start up as normal.
    Thanks for the advice but i have a lot of work stuff on it such as quick books that my payrooll girl uses so i might leave it to her or get pc troubleshooters in.

Thanks anyway

Will not effect any work files.
    Will only effect system operating files.
    Move any work files that might be on the desktop to another hard-drive location and you will be fine.

Have done this hundreds of times for people's machines myself.
    If your still unsure, thats fine. This is what your trouble shooters will try doing first anyway.

Advertisement