Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas spirit lacking in NZ?

Options
  • 22-11-2008 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or does it seem like Christmas is kinda glossed over a small bit, its advertised but certainly not to the extent or pressure as it is at home in Ireland and indeed Europe. There a decorations and the likes up aswell but it just feel's that Auckland as a city doesn't really care that much that it's nearly Christmas? Is this the vibe every year or is it just me? Maybe its the cultural mix that's evident here where maybe it isn't as big a priority?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's probably down to all the mixed cultures. A large portion of the population don't celebrate it, a much higher percentage than back home.

I'm not the biggest Christmas fan anyway so it suits me. Can't take it seriously in the heat either. Christmas is meant to be cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

haha, yeah, agree iwth the summer thing.

and chick at my work is christmas nuts (doesnt help that i work with kids), so christmas is a thousand times more glaringly obvious to me now that it was back home. we've painted the windows wiht christmas pictures, and she's been playing xmess cds all week. ive come close to murder a few times already...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I have this point of view
    In ireland ... well it's miserable in Nov & Dec, rain rain rain, wake up at 7.30 and dark get home at 6 and it's dark, people have nothing really to look forward to, so they make a massive deal over xmas, Big trees, decorations, fairy lights etc
    start to plan xmas in November and all roads lead to Xmas etc

Over here, it's hot sunny, lots more to do, Xmas seems to pick up around 1-2 week(s) just before, people don't need to make an effort, as plenty of stuff to keep them occupied

Over at home I love Xmas, xmas music, going to pub in warm xmas jumper ... over here ... a few days off really, have an orphans Xmas dinner and then get drunk, no presents, just a standard day off but with mates over for dinner.

Also as Xavi said a large portion of people don't actually celebrate it, it might be a time of thanks and good will, but it doesn't actually mean anything to them (loads and loads of taxi's work on xmas day!)

I won't bother putting up decorations this year, most of my effort will go to spending time with mates, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭camel toe

hussey wrote: »
    I have this point of view
    In ireland ... well it's miserable in Nov & Dec, rain rain rain, wake up at 7.30 and dark get home at 6 and it's dark, people have nothing really to look forward to, so they make a massive deal over xmas, Big trees, decorations, fairy lights etc
    start to plan xmas in November and all roads lead to Xmas etc

Over here, it's hot sunny, lots more to do, Xmas seems to pick up around 1-2 week(s) just before, people don't need to make an effort, as plenty of stuff to keep them occupied

Over at home I love Xmas, xmas music, going to pub in warm xmas jumper ... over here ... a few days off really, have an orphans Xmas dinner and then get drunk, no presents, just a standard day off but with mates over for dinner.

Also as Xavi said a large portion of people don't actually celebrate it, it might be a time of thanks and good will, but it doesn't actually mean anything to them (loads and loads of taxi's work on xmas day!)

I won't bother putting up decorations this year, most of my effort will go to spending time with mates, etc.

Ummmmmm. Funnily enough in the case of Dublin anyway.

The total average annual rainfall (and other forms of precipitation) is 732.7 mm, lower than Sydney, New York City and even Dallas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Meh...i'm actually happy to be down here and not have Xmas adverts and marketting blasted in my face all the time. IMO its totally lost its meaning (even to an Atheist!) and its all just a big excuse to make money.

Looking foward to getting hammered on my deck on a sunny xmas day though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's probably down to all the mixed cultures. A large portion of the population don't celebrate it, a much higher percentage than back home.

I'm not the biggest Christmas fan anyway so it suits me. Can't take it seriously in the heat either. Christmas is meant to be cold.
    Christmas sucks in the Southern Hemisphere. Everything seems so fake. How the hell can you take fake snow and Santas seriously when it is 30 plus degrees outside.

Having said that I would love to go to Germany for Christmas to get in touch with my inner kraut because I think Christmas in Ireland and England are compete overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

God I'm not looking forward to Christmas down here. We've started a tradition of a winter solstice party in the middle of Australian winter, and we drum out all of the trappings of Christmas then - decorations, games, alcohol, roast birds, big party, naff gifts. Gives us something to look forward to.

The wintery trappings of Christmas when it's 30 degrees are just crap. Who the hell wants to eat roast turkey on a day like that anyway?

Plus because they don't celebrate Hallowe'en or Guy Fawkes down here, the Christmas advertising starts in early September. I find that by mid-November, everyone down here is slightly depressed and suffering from Christmas overkill.

If you're a migrant, it also doesn't help that you've gone from being 9 hours away from Western Europe to 11-12 hours away from them (depending where you are of course). Makes me feel a million light years away from old friends and distant family - not a good feeling at Christmas.

God I'm not looking forward to Christmas down here. We've started a tradition of a winter solstice party in the middle of Australian winter, and we drum out all of the trappings of Christmas...
    Sounds quite alternative and more my scene. Do you live in Daylesford or Castlemaine by any chance? There is lots of stuff like that down there.

No, we're up 60kms north of Melbourne in Kilmore. It's an hour to the CBD, but you still have most of the trappings of countryside out here.

We did the solstice party this year because it just felt weird not having a celebration in mid-winter - it went down a storm, had lots of fun and the locals thought it was just any excuse for a party.

Nice spot. I spent the w/end in Benders (Bendigo) and had an awesome time. The first bar we hit the first round or drinks was on the house, then they put a plate of party pies, sausage rolls and dim sims on each table. I love the pace of Benders so decided I would take some of it back to Melbourne. As a result I should've already left to go to work but sitting down in shorts an tee-shirt having a leisurely brekkie thinking about how cool the w/end was.

• Advertisement

So as to get back on topic I will reiterate again that Christmas sucks ass. People should party and celebrate more and not just one one stupid day.

...shorts and a t-shirt? But it's sodding freezing! :D

I'm going to sound like a mean-spirited old trout now, but our cousins lay Chrimbo on here and to be honest this year I'm a bit over it. It's rent-a-crowd and it's just too much. I don't want to be up at 6am peeling potatoes on Christmas day. Stuff that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Well the thing I'll miss most this year will be the pace of Christmas day really, its nice to look out at **** weather and know you can relax for the day in front of a big fire & TV while the dinner gets made ( :P ). It just seems to be more of a family thing at home I guess, but I won't know for sure till I actually see Wellington at Christmas. Even though I'm spending it in a hotel...:( Hope they do some form of Turkey & Ham! Maybe I'm painting more of a rosey picture of home than there actually is..ah well its only Christmas sure they come every year.

...shorts and a t-shirt? But it's sodding freezing! :D

It was one of those rare w/ends for me where the temperature went right up if you know what I mean ;)

Advertisement