Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Piano Tuning

Options
  • 22-11-2008 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Really?? Wow! My piano tuner charges about 60 - 80 euro to do my piano, an upright Yamaha about 27 years old. I'm send you his number only he isn't taking on any new clients.

I wouldn't dare tune the piano yourself. Disaster waiting to happen I can only imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Piano tuning takes years to learn, from what I've been told.

I imagine it costs so much because it's his only source of income, and it's not exactly a roaring trade these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Price doesnt strike me as high at all.

For him to get to your house, tune it, and go home, would take a couple of hours at the very best. Quite likely more. €40 - €60 an hour for an occasional trade like that seems quite reasonable, and as posted, is probably what he has to charge to be able to earn a living at it at all, since there just isnt that much demand anymore.

I got into doing my own afew years ago just out of interest for the instrument and the science rather than to save a few quid. Theres a lot more to it to do a good job than seems at first sight. But you can make a reasonable stab at it with a bit of study and practice, and reduce the frequency that you need to get a tuner in. Dont try it if your aim is to save money would be my advice - its easy to do more harm than good. But if you are interested in learning it as a skill for your own satisfaction then go ahead.
    'The Theory and Practice of Piano Tuning - Capleton' and 'Piano Servicing, Tuning, and Rebuilding - Reblitz' are two of the bibles on the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 murraymints

Any recommendations for piano tuner, southside dublin ? Price ? Thanks. By the way the piano is old so not a masterpiece or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lemar

Hi
    Can anyone recommend a Piano Tuner in the Dublin South area. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Jack O'Byrne, 8474215. He's northside but will travel.

Thanks for that, any idea of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

I'd say about 100 euro depending on the job...that's about the going rate (it might even be a little cheaper than the going rate and Jack is very good).

Thanks for that will look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 budgetbuilder

Does anyone know of a tuner who will happily tune antique pianos. I'm in enniscorthy so someone local would be great but even someone who is willing to travel.

At the moment I have an 1824 Dettmer square piano and an 1862 Collard & Collard grand piano that need to be tuned. And hopefully soon there will be an 1816 Broadwood square , 1808 Broadwood square and 1796 Broadwood square to add to that list.

Most tuners I've spoken to won't touch them, not due, it must be said, to lack of tuning skill but rather to their lack of familiarity with them.

Also, as they need to be tuned at least 4 or 5 times a year, cost is a mojor consideration so someone who will do a good price for a regular customer would be ideal. For example, I have a friend in the uk who has several square pianos and he was shocked that I was charged €125 for a tuning as his tuner charges £45 (€60?) and tunes for some major opera companies so is excelent. Why is there such a discrepancy in the prices charged between the UK and Ireland? Any ideas?

Colm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Plain and simple :UK has more tuners...

If your working as a tuner in Ireland and you have your regulars then anything else is just hassle,
    e.g you take on a new client and tell them that their piano is so old it'll take 2 visits and then after that 4 times a year to keep it up to scratch. They might have to spend a good bit on renovation work for the first visit too.
    Also who'd travel out to enniscorthy possibly twice for 125 euro..

I feel your pain though but scarcity creates demand.

I was at a 'careers in music' seminar a few years ago given by pianosplus boss pleading for piano tuners. (He said if you've got your regulars and are fairly handy then the yearly wage would be around 100K ).

It's be a good investment opportunity if you were willing to travel to the uk for 3years. (Newark college is supposed to be pretty good!!)

Hi Armelodie, thanks for the reply.

I had thought as much... I've phoned around several tuners and most just don't want the work. So much for the recession lol.

Apart from the cost, it's the attitude that anything pre 1930 isn't a "proper" piano. My 1824 Dettmer is incredibly light and responsive, the dampers stop the notes instantly (much better than my modern upright where the notes linger).

The base is rich without overpowering the treble like a lot of modern instruments do and when I go back to play my modern upright it sounds (although perfectly in tune) brash and clinical in it's pricision. Almost like the soul is gone out of the music. And the keyboard feels like in using one of those old fasioned typewriters where you have to punch the keys. And this upright has a very light action compared to most.

As for repairs, they are much, much easier to repair than a modern instrument. I'm in the middle of restoring an 1808 Broadwood and an 1815 Broadwood. The 1815 Broadwood in particular needs no repair on the action other than replacing the worn cloths and regulating the dampers and escapement. The hitch rail caping needed replacing and the soundboard had to come out for repairs but that's all straightforward and, most importantly, repairable. Considering it's almost 200 years old & has had no repairs in the past it's held up very well.

I wonder how many of those MDF cased "made in china" pianos will be around and playing in 200 years??

Sorry about the rant but it gets on my nerves when I hear them referred to as "Old Junk". After all, by that reconing, shouldn't a Stradivarious be considered as old junk too. After all, they're even older!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sunshine.day

Hi Budgetbuilder,

Did you contacted "Gabriel Pianos"?

I know they tuning pianos and they also restore old pianos, then probably they will tuning your old piano.

This is their website www.gabrielpianos.com.

I hope they can help you ;).

Kind regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Hi :)

How often should you get a piano tuned? :confused:
    I've mine for 2 and a half years and havent go it tuned yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hi :)

How often should you get a piano tuned? :confused:
    I've mine for 2 and a half years and havent go it tuned yet..

Usually once a year .. you'd be amazed how much your ear can get gradually used to honky tonk notes without realising it.. like the frog in the pot of boiling water kind of thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Usually once a year .. you'd be amazed how much your ear can get gradually used to honky tonk notes without realising it.. like the frog in the pot of boiling water kind of thing..

Ya it doesn't sound out of tune to me but I'm so used to listening to it :rolleyes:.. Must get it tuned. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jos25

As a piano tuner myself, I charge €60 per piano plus travel costs. I am based in Mayo. PM me for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

jos25 wrote: »
    As a piano tuner myself, I charge €60 per piano plus travel costs. I am based in Mayo. PM me for more details.

I'll just reiterate everything Feylya said here. Boards.ie is not a free advertising site, and please don't resurrect old threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 derek1970

fonpokno wrote: »
    Really?? Wow! My piano tuner charges about 60 - 80 euro to do my piano, an upright Yamaha about 27 years old. I'm send you his number only he isn't taking on any new clients.

I wouldn't dare tune the piano yourself. Disaster waiting to happen I can only imagine.

Hi, I'm
    Looking for piano tuner in Dublin. Would you be able to send me contact details for yours?

Regards

Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 2 skeoghan

Anyone know a piano tuner in Meath? PM me their number if you do, regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 pianosearcher

Hi, if anyone is looking to get rid of an old grand or upright piano that is not worth tuning or repairing. I can arrange for free pick up. Please make contact - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jonnodee

Is there anyone who would be interested in acquiring old upright iron framed piano for possible repair or use for spares. The piano is in the "sunny southeast"

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shylock101

Is anyone aware of a Piano repair, tuning and moving company around Co Clare {Ennis / Shannon area?}

Since posting on here in 2010 things have moved on. I now restore 18th and early 19th century pianos as a hobby. that involves restringing and iron and brass strings can take 10 tunings before they stretch fully and become stable. If I was to pay for, and could get a piano tuner to come and do a rough tuning every few days and then every few weeks It would cost an absolute fortune. So, I bought a few good books on tuning, bought some tools and a good qulity electronic tuner (there is a free one for the iphone that is very good) and started doing my own tuning. I'm good enough to do a maintainance tuning but I'd still get a tuner in to do a fine tune if they need to be tuned for a concert or when musicians come to use them etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭picorette

Looking for a piano to be tuned Dublin 14. Can anybody recommend someone ?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭picturehangup

Doshea3 wrote: »
    Jack O'Byrne, 8474215. He's northside but will travel.

Plus one. Have always had Jack tune our piano, he is excellent, and what a gentleman too.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Plus one. Have always had Jack tune our piano, he is excellent, and what a gentleman too.
    :)

Is that post or phone number still valid do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭picturehangup

Is that post or phone number still valid do you know?

Hi there, I will pm you with Jack's details.
    Was only talking to him yesterday, he is coming out to do my piano soon, and he is busy, so get your spoke in early!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Hi there, I will pm you with Jack's details.
    Was only talking to him yesterday, he is coming out to do my piano soon, and he is busy, so get your spoke in early!

Any joy on that PM?

• Advertisement
Advertisement