Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of epidural

Options
  • 22-11-2008 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi all, just a quick question.
    Does anyone know, how much would it cost to have an epidural in the national maternity hospitsl. and what insurance cover i should have.

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

nadin278 wrote: »
    Hi all, just a quick question.
    Does anyone know, how much would it cost to have an epidural in the national maternity hospitsl. and what insurance cover i should have.

Thanks a mill.

There's a charge?? I had baby no. 1 in Sligo general (public) and there was no charge attached to any aspect of my care, including the epidural.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I'm not aware of any charge either as long as you go to a public hospital ( whether as a public,semi-private or private patient). Maybe if you're not Irish/european or go to a private hosp. Phone the hosp and ask. ;)

As long as you are an EU citizen then there is no charge if you go public.
    If you choose to go private it is very expensive unless you have private health insurance, in which case they cover the costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

If you are going public - its free

If you are private or semi-private - there is a charge (I'm not sure how much) but any basic health insurance cover will pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

Um i went semi private and had an epidural but was never aware of any cost before or after!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

If you go public it's free.
    If you go private it's covered by health insurance.

Crea wrote: »
    If you go public it's free.
    If you go private it's covered by health insurance.

If you have health insurance.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

re insurance -for most policies you also have to be insured for 52 weeks prior to pregnancy for you to be able to make a maternity claim - make sure you check your policy

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

I'm going private in national maternity hospital and got a list of costs, it costs €301 for an epidural. However from what I can read this is fully covered in the fee we pay the consultant.
    You should check at your next ante natal appointment about any costs that you might be liable for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i was actually doing my wifes 2007 med claims yesterday, and having gone private, she was charged (i think) 327 euros for the epidiural but Quinn only reimbursed 199

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Went private and with planned csection all my costs were covered with vivas. :)

Advertisement