Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In UFC rules, what happens if you don't tap to a choke ?

Options
  • 22-11-2008 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, if you're in a choke hold and you don't tap at what point can the ref call it ? Does he wait until you've passed out ? At what point does he satisfy himself that you are unconscious ? The rules are if you're unable to defend yourself he calls for the finish but how does this work with regards a choke ? Is it when you stop trying to fight out of it and you're just being choked out ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Just wondering, if you're in a choke hold and you don't tap at what point can the ref call it ? Does he wait until you've passed out ? At what point does he satisfy himself that you are unconscious ? The rules are if you're unable to defend yourself he calls for the finish but how does this work with regards a choke ? Is it when you stop trying to fight out of it and you're just being choked out ?
    You dont stop fighting a choke, if your not fighting a choke your out,the fights over and the ref stops it

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

The Ref or the other fighter usually notices when you go unconsious because your body goes limp and you stop struggling.The ref will then stop it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Cheers, I thought so. I just can't think of any matches off hand that have ended in ref stoppage via choke without a tap. Can yis list some matches ?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Chuck Liddell Vs Jeremy Horn

Jason Von Flue vs Alex Karaleis

Theres a good few,its just hard off the top of your head

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fergal_d

In TUF 5 whats his face "Handsome" vs "the guy with 200 street fights"

im no good with names...

Also at Ultimate Conflict 2 in Newry... Gary Morris choked the guy he was fighting out with a triangle (i think), then hit him a few diggs aswell for good measure lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

carol uno and matt hughes. Double ko though matt got the belt.
    Eh didn one guy stand up in a rear naked and pass out while tapping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Chuck Liddell Vs Jeremy Horn

Theres a good few,its just hard off the top of your head

Joe Roegan could list off every match that finished via choke ever! :D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Check out Joanne of MMAgirls letting herself get choked out for the sake of being a good sport. She's got balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feHKjX5PaCo

I think any referee will know when its time to stop the choke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Cheers, I thought so. I just can't think of any matches off hand that have ended in ref stoppage via choke without a tap. Can yis list some matches ?

In Pride Japanese fighters refused to tap from chokes, they thought it was dishonourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

In Pride Japanese fighters refused to tap from chokes, they thought it was dishonourable.

They didn't mind tapping in training, I think they just knew that the ref was on their side when the goin got tough and they'd get the benefit of the doubt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

fergal_d wrote: »
    Also at Ultimate Conflict 2 in Newry... Gary Morris choked the guy he was fighting out with a triangle (i think), then hit him a few diggs aswell for good measure lol
    Bit disengenuous that. Gary choked the guy, signalled that he was out to the referee and when the ref didn't step in, threw some more punches, then signalled the ref again. The way you put it makes Gary sound like a hard ass whereas I thought he gave the other guy every chance. You must go to the stoppage, bit like play to the whistle in football :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fergal_d

Roper wrote: »
    Bit disengenuous that. Gary choked the guy, signalled that he was out to the referee and when the ref didn't step in, threw some more punches, then signalled the ref again. The way you put it makes Gary sound like a hard ass whereas I thought he gave the other guy every chance. You must go to the stoppage, bit like play to the whistle in football :)

ya true, I saw him jesture to the ref b4 he tru the punches... I think it was that the guy he was fighting went out so quickly that the ref didnt know he was out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Von Flue said to the ref 'he's out' and the ref told him to stop

Fozzy wrote: »
    They didn't mind tapping in training, I think they just knew that the ref was on their side when the goin got tough and they'd get the benefit of the doubt

Not in the case of Enson Inoue. That crazy b@stard just wouldn't tap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

carol uno and matt hughes. Double ko though matt got the belt.
    Eh didn one guy stand up in a rear naked and pass out while tapping

I think the double KO you are talking about is Hughes V Newton. Newton had Hughes in a triangle - Hughes picked Newton up to slam him but Newton held on to the top of the cage - as he let go Hughes went out and dropped Newton hard on the back of his head - KO'ing him. Hughes was completly groggy and was heard asking Militech what happened (i think as I recall )

The second thing your talking about there might be Trigg being choked out by Hughes (tapping as they fell backwards) Maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

:D Laughing at the name 'Carol Uno'. Matt hughes beating up women now? Who does he think he is..... Paul Gascoigne!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

Roper wrote: »

that is spot on Barry...fergal made me sound like a bit of a tug there for a minute!!!!! im a nice boy though(well sometimes:D:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Jeff Monson sent Brandon Lee Hinkle to sleep with a North South choke in the UFC few years back. My favourite fight ending choke that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Yoshida kinda sent Koppenhaver to sleep @ 84. Well he was out of it anyway but his eyes were wide open. FREEEEAAAAKKYYYYY!!!!

Advertisement