Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving abroad, need advice

Options
  • 21-11-2008 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi, my wife wants to move abroad to a country within the eu (looking at france) the thing is she cares for her brother and sister who are severly handicapped, she gets social welfare payments for them, if we all decided to move to another eu country could she have her welfare payments transfered to say france or would she have to re'apply in france, looked everywhere for info but cant seem to find any would be very grateful if someone could point me towards the right direction thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hmmm...she gets social welfare payments for caring for them or she collects their social welfare payments ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 polts

She collects...we just want to no cause ireland is in the eu can we transfer there payments to the eu country we plan to go 2, would be grateful for some help cant find no info online.

I still don't understand...What would your wife do with her siblings social payments if she was living in France? How does she get the money back to Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Ponster wrote: »
    I still don't understand...What would your wife do with her siblings social payments if she was living in France? How does she get the money back to Ireland ?

Presumably the siblings would go with them to France, as they ened care?

OP: as far as I know, Orish social welfare payments stop once you are no longer resident in Ireland; that is the case with child benefit anyway. You would thus have two options:
    1. Only live in France part time, and keep Irish legal residence and an Irish bank account a where the social welfare payments can go into.
    2. Look into social welfare payments in France, which might take a wile to apply for.

So sorry. I misread the OP. I didn't spot the 'all' in "if we all decided to move".

My first reaction is that this is such an important question you'd be best off contacting Social Welfare people as opposed to looking for help here. I know you're just looking to see if anyone knows anything on the matter but to be honest its not something that comes up here daily.

What silja said is correct though. They wouldn't be eligible for payments in Ireland once they leave the country. I'll see what I can do to see if the same benifits exist in France.

Do you know exactly what the name of the benifits are called in Ireland? Is it Disability Allowance ?

EDIT : I think this link might help :

http://riviera.angloinfo.com/countries/france/medicallow.asp

As of 1 January 2008, the maximum monthly AAH benefit for one handicapped person with no financial resources is €652.60

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 polts

Thats right silja we are all planning to move away from ireland, the part time idea sounds ok but i thought maybe coz ireland is in the eu and we are irish citizens we could move to another eu country and still keep our irish social welfare package.
    ponster np about the mixup m8, also thanks alot for that link will come in handy for me, my wife is recieving carers allowance for her brother & sister and they are both on disability allowance, if you have anymore links or info please let me know, thanks a million guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

polts wrote: »
    Thats right silja we are all planning to move away from ireland, the part time idea sounds ok but i thought maybe coz ireland is in the eu and we are irish citizens we could move to another eu country and still keep our irish social welfare package.
    ponster np about the mixup m8, also thanks alot for that link will come in handy for me, my wife is recieving carers allowance for her brother & sister and they are both on disability allowance, if you have anymore links or info please let me know, thanks a million guys

Unfortunatly not, you would be subject to the Social Welfare system in that state once you become a resident .

Advertisement