Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie Parker

Options
  • 21-11-2008 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

so i was in tower records today and though to myself "hey might as well give jazz a go.... I play the sax so I've obviously got a bit of an interest already" :P
    I picked up bird of paradise went home and listened, its deadly! none of my friends or family members are interested so i thought I might as well come here and see what other people think of bird
    any suggestions for other artists? any suggestions for other pieces by himself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

You picked one of the hardest -to -imitate musicians in jazz. :D Fair play to you for aiming so high. ;) Most of his albums are worth acquiring, but two that would stand out for me would be " The Charle Parker Story" and "The Genius of Charlie Parker".

As for other artists to listen to (I assume it's alto sax you play ? ) : Paul Desmond (he of "Take Five" fame, although the credit usually goes to Dave Brubeck).

David Sanborn might be interesting to you. While he has played straight ahead jazz, he is better known in the jazz-rock area of music. A great saxist IMO.

Julian "Cannonball" Adderley is definitely another name to check out.

Do a search on You Tube for these artists and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

It's pretty hard to get any albums as such by Charlie Parker, as back then it was more like a "get a few lads together and if they manage to get the the studio with an instrument record a few songs" kind of thing. :p So you'll mostly just get collections of his best recordings. I'd be inclined to suggest Complete Jazz at Massey Hall though. It's badly recorded, Mingus nearly wanted to murder Dizzy Gillespie, and Charlie "Chan" Parker played a 'plastic' saxophone - but it's great!!!

Rigsby has mentioned a few must-haves already - in terms of Cannonball Adderley get yourself a copy of Somethin' Else. If you like the sound of the tenor get some Dexter Gordon, he was playing in and around the same time as Bird, but also released some crackers on Blue Note in the early 60s. (Go! is a fantastic piece of work.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

On the subject of Adderley I would suggest Nippon Soul.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

thanks a lot hopefully this'll start me on the long road of jazz :)

I'm definitely gonna have a look at david sanborn because it sounds like something I'd be into and I'll most likely pick up a couple of the mentioned albums on ebay :)
    Yeah I play the alto thats one of the main reasons i went for bird in the first place

does anyone have any favourite pieces by him? I wanna get this into a full blown conversation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

it's all gold, even those with the cheesy male smoocher are great!

• Advertisement

I've finally learnt how to bend notes! at last I vcan play in a sentimental mood with the bends making it sound.... well, more sentimental :P

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

I will be doing a special on Charlie Parker on Jazzorama (103.2 Dublin City FM Saturdays from 5.00pm)in January 09.

David Sanborn's lastest CD is worth considering - you will find it mentioned on previous Jazzorama playlists.

www.dublincityfm.ie via FORUM - DUBLIN CITY MUSIC - JAZZORAMA

sounds deadly, pm me closer to the time so i actually remember :P
    Ill take a look at tha too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Hi Smiley
    The Charlie Parker special will on the edition of Jazzorama scheduled for Saturday 16th.January on Dublin City FM 5 to 6.00pm

I will play a track or two on Music Junction Wed.24th.December from 4 to 7 pm

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    none of my friends ... are interested

Boo! :P

You should definitely check out Miles Davis' Kind of Blue if you're only starting on the "long road of jazz". Mostly trumpet and tenor sax, but it's savage.

• Advertisement

El Pr0n wrote: »

You should definitely check out Miles Davis' Kind of Blue if you're only starting on the "long road of jazz". Mostly trumpet and tenor sax, but it's savage.
    haha i take it back
    one of my friends is interested
    and what my dear friend is wrong with "mostly tenor sax"?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Don't knock Cannonball Adderley's playing on Kind of Blue!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Mostly trumpet and tenor sax, but it's savage.

I think the tenor and alto parts are fairly equally shared on the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

That's just my ignorance showing, don't mind me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Gussie Finknott

One of the greatest sax players that ever lived 'Art Pepper' listen and your life will change forever

Im not sure who played it but I heard this track from the 20's (ridiculous quality) of in a sentimental mood, if anyone has any ideas can they let me know? its tenor by the by

Advertisement