Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Problem

Options
  • 21-11-2008 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

I am looking for help solving a computer problem I have at the moment.

I am working on a Packard Bell Desktop. I am unsure of the model. It is a standard P4 machine with 1GB of RAM.

When I press the power button the fans spin but nothing comes on screen. For what I can see the hard drive does not spin.

I have tried a second AGP graphics card to no avail, tried another stick of RAM in both memory modules, and have also tried another working PSU. All to no avail.

One thing I noted was that when I tried the second PSU, the fans started and stopped briefly and started again, and so on repeately. The test PSU works fine in another computer.

The power button has not worked properly for the last few weeks. By this I mean that it would turn the computer on fine, but if I ever tried to turn off the computer by holding the power button (rare case), it would power off.

I have checked the connections from the power switch to the motherboard and all seem fine.

Dose anyone have any suggestions as what to check next. Hopefully its not a fried motherboard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I doubt its the power button but if you have a reset button you could switch it over on mobo to test.
    It does sound like your mobo imo.The only thing i can think off is to try clearing the Cmos.If you dont know how to do this,remove the small battery for about a minute.
    If that doesn't work try reseating the cpu and make sure the heatsink/fan is tightly attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭sparkite

Thanks for the reply.

There is no reset button. I have already reset CMOS to no avail.I have the CPU out as we speak. I will see if I can find another compatible CPU and try that.

tried another socket 775 cpu and still no life

sparkite wrote: »
    tried another socket 775 cpu and still no life
    Oh dear,looks like the mobo is definitely stuffed.
    If you looking to get a replacement mobo pm me as i have one you can have for the price of a pint:D

pm sent

• Advertisement

sparkite wrote: »
    pm sent
    Right back at ya:P

Advertisement