Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I stop Norton Anti-virus scanning attachments

Options
  • 21-11-2008 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have tried to get rid of Norton as I have AVG but it is still attempting to scan attachments to emails with the result that they won't open.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Not sure about attachments but here is help for actual emails.

Link: http://www.vcn.com/knowledgebase/article.php?id=438

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Thanks for that. Had a look but unfortunately it won't work for me as I can't get Norton to open up as I have uninstalled it as much as I can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Had a look but unfortunately it won't work for me as I can't get Norton to open up as I have uninstalled it as much as I can
    It's never completely gone until you do this bud!

Thanks for the advice lads. I've done all that now but still having the problem. However, if I open the attachments link in a new window it works no problem. Weird, very weird

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

use a decent anti virus

kaspersky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just get rid of it, its not worth any money as its worse than any virus, dirty piece of software

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Just get rid of it, its not worth any money as its worse than any virus, dirty piece of software
    Thats the nicest thing i heard about norton in ages:P

@ Galwaybabe there are much better options for anti-virus that are free and not resource hogs.For example Avast,Avg and as was mentioned kaspersky.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Username! wrote: »
    It's never completely gone until you do this bud!
    This.

Norton doesnt anger me, with is more than I can say for all the free alternatives Ive tried. And some of the subscription ones. AVG and McAfee in particular.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

what's wrong with AVG?

what's wrong with AVG?
    you mean the one with the Link Scanner that scans every link you navigate to for viruses, slowing down your browsing experience and every couple of months on the occassional ****ed update blocking out internet access altogether with its dodgy compatibility issues?

Oh, nothing at all.

• Advertisement

game4it70 wrote: »
    Thats the nicest thing i heard about norton in ages:P

@ Galwaybabe there are much better options for anti-virus that are free and not resource hogs.For example Avast,Avg and as was mentioned kaspersky.
    I got AVG ages ago and thought I had got rid of Norton.:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Overheal wrote: »
    you mean the one with the Link Scanner that scans every link you navigate to for viruses, slowing down your browsing experience and every couple of months on the occassional ****ed update blocking out internet access altogether with its dodgy compatibility issues?

Oh, nothing at all.

Oh yeah, well I don't have that feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Oh yeah, well I don't have that feature.

Well then You got the old Avg 7.5, which will be unsupported soon, it was supposed to end on 31st Aug 08, but has been extended to 31st Dec 08. Are You not getting pop-ups telling You this?

Think I got one ages ago. Avg running like adream for me anyway, must ahve the older version.

galwaybabe wrote: »
    I got AVG ages ago and thought I had got rid of Norton.:confused:
    They designed norton in such a way that only one piece of software supported by symantec and linked in an above post) will be able to remove it completely. I understand its some method of stopping a virus from deconstructing your AV Protection. Stupid thing is if you dont know about the tool and you try to delete norton it can be a right pain in the ass I hear. Im sure thats half the reason people hate it - never happened to me.

Advertisement