Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DA BB

Options
  • 21-11-2008 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

I replaced my Ultegra BB last night with a DA one. Even before I put it on the bearings didn't seem to spin as easily as the Ultegra one.

Do DA BBs need bedding in time? A bikeshop (not the one I bought it in) said yes that it takes a few hundred K to shift the excess grease from the bearings and they need bedding in time.

Does this make sense? Should I look to getting a different BB?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've installed one before and didn't notice any stiffness. However, I wasn't replacing another Shimano one, so I didn't have anything to compare it to. If you're not racing at this time of year, there's probably no harm in adopting a wait and see approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

All external BBs I've used have seemed "sticky" at the beginning - they do loosen up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

el tonto wrote: »
    I've installed one before and didn't notice any stiffness. However, I wasn't replacing another Shimano one, so I didn't have anything to compare it to. If you're not racing at this time of year, there's probably no harm in adopting a wait and see approach.

Admitedly the old one was well worn.
    And all I have to compare it to now is a cermanic BB one on my TT bike that turns if you blow on it.

Would love to say I'll wait and see but very impatient :) Did the guts of a 100k on it this morning and it seemed okay, that being said average speed was done 1kph on what I'd expect given the watts.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

Quick question regarding BB replacement: I can never get enough torque on a standard BB tool to remove the fixed cup, and therefore have to drop it round to the LBS. Have you a fixed cup removal tool which does the job? And if so, where would you get one? Always thought they were pretty expensive...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Have you a fixed cup removal tool which does the job? And if so, where would you get one? Always thought they were pretty expensive...

I use one of these. Was only about €15.

276_bd_mainimage_BTL27_1%20main.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Quick question regarding BB replacement: I can never get enough torque on a standard BB tool to remove the fixed cup, and therefore have to drop it round to the LBS. Have you a fixed cup removal tool which does the job? And if so, where would you get one? Always thought they were pretty expensive...

Just used a bog standard one and body weight, admittedly was a struggle to start with.

I don't put the bike in the stand, but keep it on the ground and stand on the end of the tool if it isn't shifting. You need to be careful though not to let it slip and wreck the splines on the BB.

I use one of these. Was only about €15.

276_bd_mainimage_BTL27_1%20main.jpg

That's for external bearings right? I still have a old school cartridge BB which requires one of these:
    http://www.coloradocyclist.com/img/product/full/p/parsjbbt22.jpg

As regards body weight, yeah I guess I'll just give it all I've got in future!

That's for external bearings right?

yes
    I still have a old school cartridge BB which requires one of these:
    http://www.coloradocyclist.com/img/product/full/p/parsjbbt22.jpg

As regards body weight, yeah I guess I'll just give it all I've got in future!

For older BBs I just use a big ass wrench with one of those BB tools.

For older BBs I just use a big ass wrench with one of those BB tools.

A big ass-wrench :eek:. I'm not sure I have one of those!

• Advertisement
Advertisement