Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I really need a wheel change?

Options
  • 21-11-2008 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have an MTB wheel which is persistently breaking spokes on a regular cross country ride.

What is the likely fault so that I can tackle it right. Up to now, it has been regular spoke replacement but I feel that is not getting at the root cause, and I don't want to opt for full wheel replacement. Surely there is a constituent component at fault ?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It depends, the wheel may not have been properly trued and tensioned after the spokes were replaced. I've had two well known Dublin bike shops do poor jobs on wheels for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nt00deep

That is what I was thinking, and shop is now recommending full replacement.

I think it is a cop out. They didn't do it right, because I suspect they can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

It is very hard to find a good wheelbuilder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Where exactly are the spokes breaking? If it's at the hub there may be a problem with the spoke-holes there (e.g. a sharp edge). If they're breaking in the middle or at the nipple then it could be due to uneven tension. Also, if they're lightweight butted spokes then they might not be suitable for your type or riding.

If it's happening a lot your best bet would be to have all the spokes replaced and rebuilt by a competent wheelbuilder (or do it yourself...). Cliff in Cycleogical has been recommended here before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

TBH wheelbuilding is a dying art as more and more top end wheels are factory built. The only one I would reply on are Dave Kane in Belfast and Jimmy Humphries in Santry. I'm sure there are others.
    Your best option would probably be to simply replace it :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Humphries in finglas just got my wheels rebuilt by them and they do a cracking job very reasonable too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Can anyone recommend somewhere southside/city centre to true/rebuild a wheel? Or PM me anywhere to avoid. Broke 2 spokes recently with a week of each other, and while there is no serious buckling, I reckon the wheel needs a proper look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Cliff in Cycleogical its beside the hapenny bridge is always recomended

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

peterk19 wrote: »

So well recommended, he has over a months worth of a waiting list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭WicklowRacer

Can't see why anyone would bother with handbuilt wheels for MTB to be honest. You can get very robust factory builds for a reasonable price.

I've ridden and raced Mavic Crosslands and Crossrides for years and have a bling pair of Crossmax SLRs for special occasions. All have been bombproof despite the dogs abuse over the years (and I'm not light).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Can't see why anyone would bother with handbuilt wheels for MTB to be honest. You can get very robust factory builds for a reasonable price.

I've ridden and raced Mavic Crosslands and Crossrides for years and have a bling pair of Crossmax SLRs for special occasions. All have been bombproof despite the dogs abuse over the years (and I'm not light).

I don't think anyone's looking for a hand built wheel, but for a truing/rebuild of an existing factory wheel, which is certainly cheaper than buying a new one!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

peterk19 wrote: »

I brought a wheel into Cyclelogical month ago for truing. The job they did on it only lasted two rides.

el tonto,

The spokes are breaking near the hub. Not sure what you mean by butted spokes, but the original spokes on there do have a flat profile. Maybe that's butted ?

Anyway, I started with a factory build with a full set of flat spokes. Broke two on one ride. Replaced them, but no flat spokes left, so replaced with round ones.

Broke one more in the car park waiting for next ride. Broke another on that same ride. Round ones again this time, but shop replaced approx 8 others. Expressed concern that mix of spoke types may be a factor. Shop said not the case.

Broke two more on next ride and now the shop is saying new factory build is the only job. I am not convinced that the mix of spokes is irrelevant, or at least that there may be a problem with the flatter spokes.

So yes, to confirm from later posts, I am not looking for a hand built MTB wheel. I started with factory built, it is broken and I simply want it fixed for more than one ride without resorting to throwing it in the bin and forced to buy a new factory build.

Thanks for help so far.

So, el tonto, do you think the mix of spoke styles could be a problem ? Would you insist on full replacement with round spokes (but then have to hand-build !) ?

Most of the stuff I've read about wheel building advises against mixing spoke gauges. I've never tried it myself, so I don't know for sure what happens, but I'd imagine that truing the wheels is a nightmare. I did read a thread on another forum a while back where there was consensus that mixing spokes could work, as long as the different types were evenly distributed around the rim. If it were me, I wouldn't settle for a shop giving me different spokes.

By the way, I should stress I'm by no means a wheel expert. It's one of the few maintenance jobs I don't enjoy and the only reason I try to do it myself is that I've yet to find a shop that will do a bang on job.

Thanks el tonto.

That pretty much confirms my gut feel. The spoke mix is by no means even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 OC TUNING

Hi Nt00Deep.

firstly you need to check that the hub or axle are not bent as this could be your problem.

If the above is not the issue I would imagine the wheel was built incorrectly and the tension is all wrong. Mixing spokes is not a good idea the best thing you can do is rebuilt the wheel with new spokes.

I could do this for you. I am the Irish Dh Mechanic and just recently set up a company providing bike servicing and wheel building. I will PM you a price for a rebuild with new spokes

Thanks

James O' Carroll
    OC Tuning

085-7280614

Advertisement