Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here we go again

Options
  • 21-11-2008 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi. I was on this forum months ago cos I tried giving up smoking. I didn't last too long. Well I turned 26 the other day and realised that I've been smoking for 10 years and I'm too young to be smoking that long. I would like to run a marathon before I'm 30, but at the moment I can't run at all cos I get so out of breath. (This is from a former all-Ireland athlete). I went to the doctor this morning cos I'm really serious about becoming a non-smoker now. I was expecting to get patches but he gave me a prescription for Champix. Taking tablets to help me stop never crossed my mind but I'm willing to try and I'm feeling really positive about it this time. However I had set in my head to stop smoking next monday but the doc told me to wait til monday week so I can really set my head on the task at hand and it will give the Champix a chance to kick in. I'm just going to log everything on here, kind of like a diary.

Fingers crossed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Camogie Girl

Hey how are you getting on Taking the Champix. I am off the smokes 35 days now after using Champix and it was the best thing ever as i have already tried Hypnosis, Alan Carr, patches, inhalers and nothing worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nikster

Hi Camogie Girl. I'm on day 11 of taking Champix and it's my first day of not smoking. I did notice in the last week that I was smoking less and less. I really hope this works cos I've tried everything else. Lots of people havtried warning me off Champix because of severe side-effects but I'll keep taking them until I notice side-effects. I feel a bit nauseas but I think that's a good thing- it might stop me from replacing cigarettes with food. I'm just trying to keep busy now so I won't be thinking about smoking. Hopefully this will be my last time giving up smoking.

Hi Nikster,

Well done for deciding to take them first off. I was getting a bit of Naeusa myself but if I took them in the middle of having a meal I felt it was less. But it didn't last too long a couple of mins and I drank water when it did and I was grand. I didn't get the weird dreams or anything. Everyone reacts differently to all medications but as you say yourself until you feel yourself getting them then just take it in your stride.

On day 3 now. Feeling pretty good about not smoking. Still feeling a bit nauseaus and I keep losing my balance! Don't know what's that got to do with anything! I even went for a drink last night and didn't feel like going out to the smoking area. That's a great thing for me. I'm feeling really positive, and the boyfriend has been warned that he will be killed if he goes back smoking cos I really need his support in this. The last time we gave up it was him that succombed to the fags and I shortly followed.

I'm extra determined this time. I had decided that I was giving up on monday 1st Dec, which I did. However, also on Mondy, I found out that my mother has cancer. If this was one of my previous attempts to give up I would use that as the perfect escuse to go back smoking, but I'm not letting it stop me this time. If anything, it gives me even more reasons to not smoke. I feel fresher, smell fresher, and I've more money in my pocket. Hopefully I'll keep going well

Well done you are doing brilliantly. Really sorry to hear about your mother but as you say make that your determination that you will never go back on the horrible things.

My boyfriend is on day 3 of Cold Turkey so when I gave up he was still smoking (out on the balcony) but I had every opportunity to have one as they where all over the house but I didn't. At times I wouldn't even sit beside him after he had one as the smell made me sick. I really hope he succeeds.

For the first few days I was on cloud 9 didn't give a sh*t about anything was off my head and as well did have the balance issue but that will go soon. Keep it up:)

• Advertisement

Still off them. The boyfriend had one last week and i stopped talking to him for a few hours. He said he had a really bad day. I lost the plot. I told him I had been having a few really bad weeks and I was stressed off my head and I stll didn't have a cigarette. They don'tmake things any better. Anyway it was just one slip he had and he's been ok since. I have good days and bad days but I'm determined not to give into the nicotine monster!

I've got over the party season and been drunk without smoking so I think I'm cured. Wahey

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Are you still off them & still on champix? I'm on day 6 so still smoking. I plan to stop on day 8 - Monday. No symtoms other than beginning to dislike smoking & realising I dont want as many at the usual times I would. Hope things are going well, I started up a thread on the topic last week if you'd like to give any advice there's a few of us who would appreciate it!

I'm still off them, but not still on Champix. I stopped the Champix just before Christmas because they were really making me feel nauseaus, even when I halved the dose, and I really wanted to be able to eat my xmas dinner and enjoy it! I'm doing fine without the Champix. I was well over the physical cravings of wanting to inhale smoke, and at that stage I decided the battle was only in my head. If the question"do I want a cigarette?" ever pops up in my head, there are two possible answers- yes or no. I choose to say no and I'm being stubborn enough to stick with my decision. That's all there is to giving up smoking- just say no!
    I'm doing great. I even started back running this week. I have all-ireland medals from running and orienteering but I haven't done ANY exercise in 10 years cos my lungs were full of crap. I feel great to be able to run again (even though that's not easy either) and I'm hoping to do some part of the Cork marathon this year! Life couldn't be any better right now. Stopping smoking is the best thing ever. I'm healthier, fitter, my skin is great, and I don't stink! Best of luck to everyone else. I know I'm not going to let myself fall off the wagon this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Thats great you are an inspiration I cant wait to hopefully say the same as you!

• Advertisement

nearly 3 months now! Wahey :D

Advertisement