Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wooden nonsense

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Sure didn't tellies have wooden panels back in the day :D

Just more environmental bandwagon jumping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

It's just the casings that are wooden. http://www.iameco.com/ the stuff looks awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

These have been around for years. Sure all they have to do is when the hamster dies stick the rest in the ground :rolleyes:

These f*cktards are completely disjointed from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

wooden touch one tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Saw this bolloxology on the news last night, and yer man actually did say that you could just throw it out when you're done with it - never mind all the heavy metals and toxic substances in the actual computer components! He also referred to the computer as a hard drive, so, you know...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yup, complete shíte. Seen it on rte as well. He actually said when you're done with it just bury it in your back garden. They also said it was made completely out of wood including the hard drive. They specifically mentioned the hard drive, I assume the mean the tower which just shows how stupid those people are. They build a pc and think the tower is the hard drive.

My dad is 60 and just about knows how to turn on a computer and even he was fooled by this crap pointing out the keys on the keyboard are clearly plastic.

Edit: Just a quick question. What would wood be like for heat dissipation? Would it be better or worse than plastic, steel or aluminium.

Yup, complete shíte. Seen it on rte as well. He actually said when you're done with it just bury it in your back garden. They also said it was made completely out of wood including the hard drive. They specifically mentioned the hard drive, I assume the mean the tower which just shows how stupid those people are. They build a pc and think the tower is the hard drive.

My dad is 60 and just about knows how to turn on a computer and even he was fooled by this crap pointing out the keys on the keyboard are clearly plastic.

Edit: Just a quick question. What would wood be like for heat dissipation? Would it be better or worse than plastic, steel or aluminium.

I would imagine its terrible for heat dissipation as wood absorbs heat and its a serious fire risk.

Oh my sweet lord :eek:

http://www.iameco.com/index.cgi?D=95&C=134&P=830

These guys are on f*cking drugs. When I've calmed down I'm going to email them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Its very very bad, an aliminium case acts as one big heatsink by allowing heat disapation, wood would just conduct and hold the heat in the case.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I thought it would (resisting terrible puns) be pretty bad for heat dissipation alright. Also that's a crazy price tag. If you really want to be environmentally friendly just buy a real computer and plant a tree in your garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Would be a great little oven tbh. You'd need to drill holes in every panel and maybe even leave the back panel off it.

You'd also risk infestation from parasites and the moisture in the wood evaporating in the heat could easily cause the components to corrode.

This is what happens when you allow non-techie reporters to report on techie items.

They're effectively glorified carpenters with the know-how to put a PC together. Nothing any of us with a "Learn DIY in 24 hours" book couldn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

KTRIC wrote: »
    Oh my sweet lord :eek:

http://www.iameco.com/index.cgi?D=95&C=134&P=830

These guys are on f*cking drugs. When I've calmed down I'm going to email them.

are they taking the piss,they gotta be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i presume that why they raise the tower off the ground, plus they use ebony on one of them; an endangered wood, this is green tech guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I wouldn't mind a wooden keyboard if the keys were made out of a nice hardwood and maybe a bit of ivory for the letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

I wouldn't mind a wooden keyboard if the keys were made out of a nice hardwood and maybe a bit of ivory for the letters.

Ivory?? An international ban on the ivory trade was brought in 19 years ago. :D:D

rockal wrote: »
    Ivory?? An international ban on the ivory trade was brought in 19 years ago. :D:D

That probably wouldn't phase these guys a bit. I think tortoise shell covered mice and palm rests filled with Golden Eagle feathers are available as an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The combination of high gloss black metallic enamel and the exquisite optical effect of gold and diamonds which we have chosen here lend this model an especially noble appearance. The drive facings and the feet of the appliance have been made from gold. As an optical highlight, diamonds have been set into the front.

Prices starts from 10,000 Euros depending on diamonds, gold and platinum quantities or karat.
    I'll take two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The first Apple had wooden cases(not supplied by apple but by hobbyists) and even my Amstrad 464 had veneer over the tape drive.

The gall to say there is no plastic in it is just ridiculous. Whats the screen made out of? These people need to be taken down, and the Consumer Information Act, 1978 is obviously being contravened. Anyone know who I should get onto because this is just plain fraud, and how they are getting away with it is beyond me.

Advertisement