Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US power source. will it work here?

Options
  • 21-11-2008 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Not syre if this is the right fourm for this but thinking of buying an external hard drive but the one im looking at has a 110v 60Hrz USA type plug A/C power requirement. just wondering if anyone knows if this can be accommodated in Ireland?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It should do. Most things are dual voltage now a days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if it doesnt work you could pick up a voltage converter from a hardware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

just check the transformer before you use it, if it doesn't work then just get a converter or a new supply here

• Registered Users Posts: 49 horsenaughton

with it being a us plug will it probably be the usual two pin plug. Also stupid question but is 1TB the same as 10GB. last and final question any of ye kno anything about seagate harddrives if they good or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

1) 1TB = approx 1000GB less what you would normally lose due to the stupid naming difference between GB and Gb. Should be about 976GB if I did my maths right, though I doubt I did.

2) Personally I would avoid Seagate these days, since they took over Maxtor whom I never rated as a HDD manufacturer. I believe that the quality is going to slip. Just my opinion though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You're a good bit off. It's actually 931 (real)GBs. So you're losing about 93 (real)GBs. Complete and utter piss take.

Soundman wrote: »
    if I did my maths right, though I doubt I did.

I did warn you! :P

I did warn you! :P
    The only reason I know is because I have two of them hooked up to my laptop at the moment. :D

The only reason I know is because I have two of them hooked up to my laptop at the moment. :D

WD MyBooks?

Needs to get me another one of them.

Just thinking, I should have been able to figure out the actual capacity as I remember reading on here that it worked out at approx a 7% loss in storage space which would bring it to ~930GB

WD MyBooks?

No they're not your MyBooks, they're my MyBooks (apologies for the rubbish piss take miwadi joke) Yeah, they're WD MyBooks. Great drives. Love the fact that they spindown as well. First external I've had that does this. It'll come in handy when I hook them up to my belkin usb network hub. :)
    Needs to get me another one of them.

Just thinking, I should have been able to figure out the actual capacity as I remember reading on here that it worked out at approx a 7% loss in storage space which would bring it to ~930GB

It's actually closer to 9%. 1TB is 1024GBs. Actual the drive shows is 931GBs.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant a 7% loss on what the manufacturer claims is the capacity of the drive.

Dougal.jpg

Oh right ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,255 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

most AC Powered externs have dual voltage support. you will have to check the plugs label when you get your hands on it though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Definitely check the label.

Transformers are well and good for basic stuff (like my model trains) but I would be hesitant about using them on anything expensive or delicate. My understanding is that the amperage and cycling don't exactly match after the voltage has converted.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 49 horsenaughton

2) Personally I would avoid Seagate these days, since they took over Maxtor whom I never rated as a HDD manufacturer. I believe that the quality is going to slip. Just my opinion though.

what brand do you recommend or which are the best ones for the best price

what brand do you recommend or which are the best ones for the best price
    Samsung and western digital are quite good.

Advertisement