Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I format a VAIO with vista on it?

Options
  • 20-11-2008 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭

My mates VAIO VGN-NR11Z/S laptop will not boot up. I ran the sony recovery software and got back all his pics & music etc, but I cannot now reinstall nor repair vista, can't even format it.

I can put in a vista CD and attempt an install, all seems to be going fine and then it says it could not install. He did not have any discs with it so I am using a Dell vista disc, dunno if that matters.

I tried a few times, I deleted the partion via the install (don't think it really did) then said format (again do not think it formatted, happens to quick with no confirmations). Then I go to install it goes through
    copying windows files
    expanding files
    installing features
    installing updates
    completing installation

"windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed."

Now when I reboot windows is still on it and does not boot, and the recovery software is still on it, so I am not sure why it does not format. Any ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

For a start, if your using a dell Vista disc, they right-protect their software.
    In otherwords, the Dell install cd/dvd will only run and fully install on a dell machine/harddrive.

You need to get a seperate copy of vista or xp.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Grand, I did have that problem years ago with a dell disc, but it wasn't apparent this time. I have another non-dell copy in work I can borrow.

I was also reading about vlite which creates a custom stripped down vista install disc, I wonder if this would get rid of the dell stuff
    http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/06/04/how-to-create-a-custom-windows-vista-installation-dvd/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Are you sure your formatting the drive?
    Can you boot up the system with a boot cd and format the drive through Dos?

It might be worth your while having a look at http://www.bootdisk.com/

Biggins wrote: »
    Are you sure your formatting the drive?
    I'm pretty sure it is not formatting. I had the option on the vista install and selected it but it was over in 10 seconds with no report. I was on that site yesterday but saw no vista boot disc. Will an XP one do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

An XP one will work.why did you use the Dell vista disc in the first place?

• Advertisement

jackncoke wrote: »
    An XP one will work.why did you use the Dell vista disc in the first place?
    He didnt have any discs. I know the vista disc has all versions on it so thought it might work. I have his serial on the bottom of the laptop and wanted to keep it all legit. This is why I wonder if I now make this stripped down vista install disc with vlite will it get rid of the dell stuff.

I am still not certain it is the dell thing, I read on forums that this error is common, usually a boot AV protection in the BIOS, but I cannot see it in his BIOS. I think the sony software is protecting it somehow. Just want to format the thing.

I would sooner put XP on but wanted it legit, I now copped on we have no original vista discs in work. Will try the boot disk to format tomorrow and see if it goes on with the dell disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

You could download Ubuntu, then run it from the cd and format the drive (so long as you have ntfsprogs in Ubuntu too). Vista installation should work then.

I done this a while ago to get a clean install of Vista...

I had a look at www.bootdisk.com and there were loads of options, wasn't sure which to use, or if I needed to pay them to get ones for cd. Is there any site with just an iso image I can use?

I put an XP install disc in and it booted and I expected to be able to format and delete the partitions, but it just said "no hard disk found", and I had to reboot.

I then went back into the Sony diagnostics, pressing F10. In there I was able to do a recovery. I had fogotten about this, I found it before but used another option to restore the files to and external HD. So this option formatted the drive and resinstalled vista.

After many slow reboots and 2 error messages I got the system back. But it is incredible slow (even for vista;)) dunno what to do next, maybe needs some diagnostic tool to find what is wrong. I am guessing the HD could be knackered but not bad enough to cause a total error, it did crash a few times just trying to open windows explorer or control panel. Maybe I could try a repair on this install?

Advertisement