Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco in Portarlington

Options
  • 20-11-2008 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

so what happens now regarding Tesco in Portarlington ? they won't be allowed build near the river, but why haven't they shown any interest in building at Station road or in that new business area where McMahons builders providers are ?
    i read Tesco were also denied permission to build in Kildare town... what the f*ck does it take to get a decent shop built.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

what the f*ck does it take to get a decent shop built.

A good procurement manager.

See Lidl.

It is always possible if there is the will to do it. I was listening to the MD of Tesco Ireland being interviewed and he was saying that they're looking to open another 20 - 30 stores next year. Maybe Port will have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

I heard that Tescos have bought McMahons out beside Crann Nua and are going to build a large store there similar to the Tullamore one. Not sure if it's true or not but its what I heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

so what happens now regarding Tesco in Portarlington ? they won't be allowed build near the river, but why haven't they shown any interest in building at Station road or in that new business area where McMahons builders providers are ?
    i read Tesco were also denied permission to build in Kildare town... what the f*ck does it take to get a decent shop built.

Im delighted its not going ahead. portlaoise and tullamore are near enough and if thebuilding went ahead by the river it would have been a discrace as it floods evety year and the river would have suffered as part of the developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

genie_us wrote: »
    I heard that Tescos have bought McMahons out beside Crann Nua and are going to build a large store there similar to the Tullamore one. Not sure if it's true or not but its what I heard!
    I really doubt they've bought McMahons....why would they sell their new building and then be left with nowhere?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

stevoman wrote: »
    Im delighted its not going ahead. portlaoise and tullamore are near enough and if thebuilding went ahead by the river it would have been a discrace as it floods evety year and the river would have suffered as part of the developments.

it's not just about the convenience of having a shop in Portarlington, it's also about creating jobs in the town and attracting people to move to Portarlington. That's like saying why do we need a train station in Portarlington when there's one in Portlaoise. Tesco would attract other retailers too.... so the town could have something better to offer than that appalling shoe shop on the main street. I do agree that Tesco were mad to try and build near the river and in the centre of the town, the delivery trucks alone would cause problems. I'd really like to see something happening though, i'll be moving down there after xmas and the only thing i'll be buying in the town is Milk and the odd takeaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Hopefully Tesco might consider an alternative site in Portarlington such as Lea Road,Tullamore Road,Portlaois Road or Edenderry Road,any approach road for that matter.A site where theres plenty of parking and easy access and lots of other shops and maybe a Post office and Bank as the lack of parking on Main Street is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

kmart6 wrote: »
    I really doubt they've bought McMahons....why would they sell their new building and then be left with nowhere?!

:rolleyes: As I said kmart, I am not sure if it's true, only passing on what I've heard which is that they are looking to sell their new premises

• Subscribers Posts: 41,193 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Theres a perfect location already zoned for such use off sandy lane.
    The developer there has already incorporated a relief road from the ballymorris road to the portlaoise road.

http://www.laois.ie/media/Media,3865,en.pdf

look for the area marked NC in a cyan square.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Theres a perfect location already zoned for such use off sandy lane.
    The developer there has already incorporated a relief road from the ballymorris road to the portlaoise road.

http://www.laois.ie/media/Media,3865,en.pdf

look for the area marked NC in a cyan square.
    Is that the site that was supposed to have the shopping centre in it but Pat Moore pulled out cause he knew it wouldn't really work?!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Is that the site that was supposed to have the shopping centre in it but Pat Moore pulled out cause he knew it wouldn't really work?!

well, the reasons why it wasnt built are open for speculation (i heard it was because the ground was bad/soft and would have required expensive engineered foundations)

however, theres a current planning application on part of this site for the Booth family....

so someone thinks its feasible.

• Advertisement

Well the main reason I heard for that was it was worth more to him to go ahead with his developments in Portlaoise than to really get stuck into the one in Port!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 fefe

I'm new to this site so excuse me for a while in the event of making mistakes.

have been reading with a lot of interests regarding whats been said about tesco.

Tesco was refused planning permission because The site of the proposed development lies partly within the River Barrow and River Nore candidate Special Area of Conservation (cSAC Site Code 003262), a site of European importance. It is also located in close proximity to the River Barrow and on part of what is currently recognised as a floodplain. Having regard to the submissions made in connection with the application and appeal, and notwithstanding the flood risk mitigation measures proposed, the Board is not satisfied that the proposed flood relief works would not have significant adverse effects on both the natural heritage of the area and the future use of the river and adjoining lands (including the loss of part of an existing floodplain and the associated risk of increased flooding of other lands in the vicinity). It is considered that the proposed development would, therefore, be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

Having regard to the visually exposed and prominent nature of the site, which adjoins the River Barrow, it is considered that the proposed development, by reason of:

the inadequate separation distance between the river bank and the proposed foodstore building and service area compound, and the excessively cramped character of the residual, riverside space (including the elevated boardwalk) which is allocated for pedestrian access and public amenity purposes,

the unsatisfactory visual character of the service area compound, which would be predominant in views across the River Barrow (from the north and east), and

the excessive scale and bulk and the unsatisfactory architectural appearance of the proposed foodstore building and associated riverside boundary wall,

would seriously injure the amenities of the area (including the landscape setting of the River Barrow) and would, therefore, notwithstanding the town-centre zoning objective for the site, be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

these are pretty strong reasons for the refusal. I agree with the board refusing the permission (site was a non runner in the first place) but am disappointed that they havent looked at alternative sites.

the best location as outlined by another person is the site on Sandy Lane. That site has permission for a supermarket but I know that dunnes stores were looking to go there.

Both of these giants usually follow each other and whilst we had two sites available and two of them proposing to locate in Port, this kept up the value of the sites so now that there is only one site, it should be interesting to see who takes up the guantlit!!!!

probably neither. with the recession now upon us there's massive unemployment in the town and the county in general. It's not going to be an attractive proposition for either Tesco or Dunnes to open new stores in Laois, the likes of Dunnes may prefer to spend their money improving and expanding current stores. The only ones who'll do well out of this recession is Lidl and Aldi.

probably neither. with the recession now upon us there's massive unemployment in the town and the county in general. It's not going to be an attractive proposition for either Tesco or Dunnes to open new stores in Laois, the likes of Dunnes may prefer to spend their money improving and expanding current stores. The only ones who'll do well out of this recession is Lidl and Aldi.

I still think one of them will come to Port!!!!

fefe

in my opinion, theres a significant exodus from port to either portlaoise or tullamore on weekends for shopping.... due to both tesco and ald in tullamore and dunnes in portlaoise.... so i think theres a real market in port for a large superstore.

plus... we could do with a micky d.... and some kind of sports / bowling / cinema building(s)....

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Just noticed there is a massive clearing out being done at the corner of the market square. Without a doubt in my mind, the square is the most underutilised asset in Portarlington. It has the capability to be an actual focal point in town but it just looks derelict. If ever a CPO was necessary thats the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

in my opinion, theres a significant exodus from port to either portlaoise or tullamore on weekends for shopping.... due to both tesco and ald in tullamore and dunnes in portlaoise.... so i think theres a real market in port for a large superstore.

plus... we could do with a micky d.... and some kind of sports / bowling / cinema building(s)....

Argee.Just moved down from Dublin and love it.
    Would be brill if we got something above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Kingdom wrote: »
    Just noticed there is a massive clearing out being done at the corner of the market square. Without a doubt in my mind, the square is the most underutilised asset in Portarlington. It has the capability to be an actual focal point in town but it just looks derelict. If ever a CPO was necessary thats the area.

I noticed that this morning Kingdom...anyone any idea what's going on in there? As far as I know a CPO won't happen to those buildings..one or some of them anyway are protected structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

I do a lot of my shopping in Lidl, but every few weekends we go to Tullamore or Portlaoise alright. Went to Edenderry a couple of weeks ago and they have a fairly big Aldi so might start going there once a month instead of Tullamore (Aldi would be my main reason to go to Tullamore, go to Portlaoise for Dunnes).

Kingdom wrote: »

This site has been bought by local lads and have major plans for the area, they have also bought two houses adjoining the site on french church street with the view of putting apartments on site. The large building to the front has always been know as Kelly's and was featured in the film "In to the West". It is very much a protected structure and cannot be demolished. I doubt that anything is going to be done with the site as the same people were involved in the tesco site. I'd imagine they are just clearing the site and there is no planning on the site at this point of time.

fefe

• Advertisement

fefe wrote: »
    This site has been bought by local lads and have major plans for the area, they have also bought two houses adjoining the site on french church street with the view of putting apartments on site. The large building to the front has always been know as Kelly's and was featured in the film "In to the West". It is very much a protected structure and cannot be demolished. I doubt that anything is going to be done with the site as the same people were involved in the tesco site. I'd imagine they are just clearing the site and there is no planning on the site at this point of time.

fefe

funny how that cow shed is a protected structure and Kilnacourt House was levelled without any fuss. No chance anyone is going to build more apartments in Portarlington though.

funny how that cow shed is a protected structure and Kilnacourt House was levelled without any fuss. No chance anyone is going to build more apartments in Portarlington though.

Killnacourt House has been selected as the new Primary Care Unit for Portarlington. So you will see great things happeing to this structure, which is also protected.
    Kelly's is a beautiful house and should be preserved properly.

fefe

Advertisement