Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Msc. Finance TCD

Options
  • 20-11-2008 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Thinkin of doin the above course and was wondering if anyone can tell me how strict are the entry requirements. I have read the prospectus and im aware you have to submit a GMAT score and hold at least a 2.1.
    I have a low 2.1 degree in finance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

ennisd wrote: »
    Thinkin of doin the above course and was wondering if anyone can tell me how strict are the entry requirements. I have read the prospectus and im aware you have to submit a GMAT score and hold at least a 2.1.
    I have a low 2.1 degree in finance.

Did you go to the open night the other night? If you have a 2.1 then you meet one of the requirements happy days :D.

Anyway, they say nothing is set in stone and that they take it on a case by case basis.

I'd advise dropping the course director an email - Brian Lucey blucey@tcd.ie He's very helpful and posts on boards... and he was great on prime-time the other night!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ennisd

i only found out about the open day that night :mad:

are you currently doing the course or in the same boat as myself jut "browsing"..

it looks a good course, alot of freedom to chose the modules you like. torn between this, finance cap markets dcu, smurfit or dit accounting master.

I'm doing the course, really enjoying it. It's pretty intense, but in a good way.

The slides from the open evening will be going up on the website soon enough, so you can check it there.

Are you looking at it full or part time? If you've any questions about it fire away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If I recall correctly there was more than one open day last year (though it was the first year of the course so maybe they were more aggressive about marketing it).

just wondering what modules are compulsory?

hopin to get away with avoiding econometrics if possible..

I would be looking to do it full time. How many hours do you have a week?

• Advertisement

Well this semester we've had

Compulsory:
    Data Analysis
    International Financial Management
    Financial Statement Analysis
    Investment Theory
    Corporate Finance

Optional:
    Financial Informatics
    Money and Capital Markets

Next Semester, the provisional timetable is:

Compulsory:
    Pricing of Derivatives
    Equity and Bond Investments
    Portfolio Management

Optional:
    Alternative Investments
    Financial Analysis with Matlab
    Financial Econometrics
    Behavioral Finance
    Enterprise Risk Management
    Advanced Statement Analysis
    Econophysics

So you probably won't have to do econometrics, although Data Analysis did have some in it.

The standard timetable is 3pm to 9pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 2pm on Saturday then no class for a week. So the week on there is roughly 30 hours of class. Individual lecturers sometimes deviate from this though.

its a bit unusual to have a week on week off system. Im presuming there wouldnt be enough time to work part-time?

By the way the way how much time to you prepare before doing your GMAT? goin to try and book it soon enough. any tips?

ennisd wrote: »
    its a bit unusual to have a week on week off system. Im presuming there wouldnt be enough time to work part-time?

By the way the way how much time to you prepare before doing your GMAT? goin to try and book it soon enough. any tips?

Not really, but it depends on the part time job, it would have to be really flexible. The only problem is that the week off isn't exactly a week off, its pretty much taken up with assignments and study.

I spent 3/4 weeks but would have preferred to spend longer, the longer the better but don't kill yourself, its not that hard to get over 550. Get some Kaplan and/or princeton review books (preferably with a CD) and just start practicing.

If you booked it now for a couple of months away you'd have plenty of time.

(Also, this mightn't have been clear from my last post, but you do one subject for the week and thats that subject finished with.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If I recall correctly there was more than one open day last year (though it was the first year of the course so maybe they were more aggressive about marketing it).

Y'all aint seen nuttin yet on marketing... :D

there will be at least one more open evening, and of course feel free to pm me (or email much preferred) anytime

A 2.1 plus a decent GMAT and we can talk entry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TheQuest

Hi, I received an offer for the MSc in Finance at TCD but I am not sure whether I should accept. The reputation of TCD and the city of Dublin are very appealing but the Finance Master is rather young and the Business School not so well known compared to other schools I applied for (Warwick, Durham). So I would be very thankful if you could give some information about the level of the course! Do you feel that the level is high enough? Are the profs highly qualified? The course schedule seems to be rather special (a module is done in only one week) , and more adapted to the needs of part-time students, however I would be a FT student...

Thanks for your help!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement