Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle Co-op?

Options
  • 20-11-2008 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Has anyone heard of a bicycle co-op in Ireland?

I was in Edinburgh for half a year and found this class place where you can use all the tools you need - cranks, wrenchs, oil, cleaning solvents etc - for just 3pounds an hour. They give you a stand and you just work away. There's a few volunteers who help you out with technical stuff for free and you can buy new and second hand parts on the cheap.

Found an old, but quality, bike in my new place that needs some minor-ish repairs and not looking to spend a fortune when I could easily repair it with the tools.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Cleberp wrote: »

I was in Edinburgh for half a year and found this class place where you can use all the tools you need - cranks, wrenchs, oil, cleaning solvents etc - for just 3pounds an hour. They give you a stand and you just work away. There's a few volunteers who help you out with technical stuff for free and you can buy new and second hand parts on the cheap.

Found an old, but quality, bike in my new place that needs some minor-ish repairs and not looking to spend a fortune when I could easily repair it with the tools.

If you're in the city centre, you can pop over and use my stand and tools for 3 quid an hour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Cleberp wrote: »

out of interest, who ran it/ what premises did they use?

EDIT - sorry just googled..

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cleberp

km991148 wrote: »
    out of interest, who ran it/ what premises did they use?

EDIT - sorry just googled..

The place you probably found is the Bike Co-op, which is not a co-op at all.

The name of the place is The Bike Station
    http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/

This is how they describe themselves:
    "bicycle recycling and cycling promotion charity. We keep old and discarded bikes out of landfill, repairing as many as we can, to put them back on the road. We provide cycle training, bike maintenance training, as well as refurbished bikes, to promote cycling and healthy lifestyles across Edinburgh and the Lothians."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

pretty cool idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

There's a Cork Community Bikes. Various things have existed at times in Dublin, but nothing permanent AFAIK. If you called the Dublin Food Co-op or Seomra Spraoi I'm sure they would be interested in such a co-op, in terms of providing premises, etc. I would be interested in helping to set up this as well.

check out
    http://www.bicycology.org.uk/
    http://www.corkcommunitybikes.com/projects.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement