Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restore partition on Dell Dimension 5150

Options
  • 20-11-2008 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

hi, hopefully someone will be able to help me with this..
    I have a Dell Dimension 5150 running Windows Media Centre 2002 that had a lot of trouble with malware installed, Installer service not working and
    broadband internet not working.
    (I got the malware removed, but even though I tried everything I know I could get the broadband working - DNS was completely messed up, even WinsockFix did nothing).

I decided to format the C: drive using a OEM CD that I had lying around. Windows MCE installed fine and everything is working but it's not registered with the serial number that was originally supplied with the PC (but the original serial is stuck to the side of the case). and I don't want to activate it with the wrong serial number.

Afterwards I noticed that they was a 4GB hidden partition that seems to be a fully working Restore Partition. What I'd like to know is how do I get the Restore Partition to restore to the C: drive ?

I pressed the F12 option when the PC boots up but it just gives me the following options:

* Boot Onboard CDROM
    * Boot SATA Drive

* System Setup (ie. BIOS)
    * Hard Drive Diagnostics
    * Boot to Utility Partition

..but none of these menu options give me the option of restoring the hidden partition to the C: drive.

So is there something I need to install in Windows in order to do the restore, is there some other key that you need to press at boot up, or is there some sort of CD image I need to boot from to initiate the restore?

any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Have you tried the "Boot to Utility Partition" option?
    What does it say?

Reboot and instead of pressing F12, press F8 instead to see with a DOS menu appear.
    Probably unlikely will be of use if you have done a wipe.

Normally with the pre-installed system, on the list that would appear, would be the option to use the back-up drive to re-install the operating system.

Your only hope is to do a new install of XP using an XP cd or if one was supplied, using an emergency disk/install disk that came with the original purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

the "Boot to Utility Partition" option basically bring you into a Hardware Diagnostic screen with four options (Express Test, Extended Test, Custom Test and Symptom Tree).

Pressing F8 brings up the Windows Advanced Options with the usual Windows options like Safe Mode, Debug Mode, Last Known Good config, etc.

Never thought of looking for a Restore menu option in F8 before I did the format, because I didn't know there was a hidden partition that I could have restored.

(The PC belongs to a friend, so usual story he couldn't find any discs that shipped with the PC originally.)

Advertisement