Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Informal tai chi

Options
  • 20-11-2008 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of having informal tai chi sessions (mostly for me) in an around Port Laoise or Monasterevan. The idea was simply that I'd be doing my sessions and anybody who was interested could come along and watch/participate. We'd run through some warmups and chi gung and maybe a little of the Yang form. Just trying to gauge if there was any interest.
    My style is martial rather than hippy style. It's also very good for general fitness levels so if you do any sport/running even dancing it would be good for you:)

No money involved unless the response is huge and we'd need to get a hall or other space.

Kind of boring doing it on my own...
    If you already do tai chi I'd be delighted to talk to you too...

Comments?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dbux

Hi Bealtine

I'm a Tai Chi practitioner in Cork. Just like to mention to you a fellow Instructor Brian McDonald not (very) far from where you mention - in Clane, North Kildare. Checkout http://www.wulonghealing.com/Club_Index.htm, he's an instructor with the John Ding International Academy of Tai Chi Chuan doing Yang style including martial content.

Always more fun with other people to practice with.

Rgds
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

dbux wrote: »
    Hi Bealtine

I'm a Tai Chi practitioner in Cork. Just like to mention to you a fellow Instructor Brian McDonald not (very) far from where you mention - in Clane, North Kildare. Checkout http://www.wulonghealing.com/Club_Index.htm, he's an instructor with the John Ding International Academy of Tai Chi Chuan doing Yang style including martial content.

Always more fun with other people to practice with.

Rgds
    John

Thanks for the note. But that style is not really for me:)

I've met Brian a few times and he's a really nice guy and knowledgeable
    about TC but I don't like the form very much. Reminds me of the Cheng Man Ching form too much. YMMV.

E.g. I don't like the stances too much and the, what I perceive to be, double weightedness of the movements...

It's all in how you learn I suppose. I practice Chen and some Yang but not the John Ding variant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Ms K Sir A

Ah look who I found here. Hope you've had some positive responses. :-)

Cha...

H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 zappazappa

Hi Bealtine

Found this posting by accident and I felt that I must reply. I can assure you that JDIATCC Yang style is NOT associated with, nor is a varient of Chen Man Ching style. We follow traditional Yang Style as handed down from Yang Chen fu, through Yang Sau Chung, his first Disciple (the late) Grand Master Ip Tai Tak and his first Disciple Sifu Ding Teah Chean. Our Long Form is traditional Yang Family with martial applications, Fa jing, Chi development and has strong emphasis on Posture Testing, Chi kung and Push hands.
    I understand it may have 'reminded' you of CMC style, but did you just look at it, or did you attempt to learn and understand the principles and concepts taught by JDIATCC?

Out of interest, what Yang form do you train?

Regards
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I'd be interested in any style;). Would it be a waste of time for beginners? Should I have a general grasp of things to tag along? Never done it before, but would be interested if its local.

• Advertisement

Ms K Sir A wrote: »
    Ah look who I found here. Hope you've had some positive responses. :-)

Cha...

H

Expecting you there too:)

gogo wrote: »
    I'd be interested in any style;). Would it be a waste of time for beginners? Should I have a general grasp of things to tag along? Never done it before, but would be interested if its local.

Cool, i've decided to defer until spring time, however if the weather picks up any (no rain) I'll post deatails of where. I am looking for suggestions though.
    If you know anywhere indoors that'd be a real bonus...

Hi Brian
    zappazappa wrote: »
    Hi Bealtine

Our Long Form is traditional Yang Family with martial applications, Fa jing, Chi development and has strong emphasis on Posture Testing, Chi kung and Push hands.

Sounds good to me...I like push hands...

I understand it may have 'reminded' you of CMC style, but did you just look at it, or did you attempt to learn and understand the principles and concepts taught by JDIATCC?

Perhaps I didn't give it enough time, I was in a class in Dublin a few times and as I said earlier I wasn't 100% with the stepping movements. Just to be clear though the John Ding style is far superior to most of the TC practitioners I have seen peddle their wares as a lot of the teachers seem to think TC is some form of dance, which annoys me :)

So in essence I should have given it more time and listened more carefully.
    In my opinion the shape of the form is mostly irrelevant the intent is more important.

Maybe I'll go and see the class in Clane some time, I'll look up the website.
    It is just a little bit too far on these miserable winter nights :)

My chi gung is similar to 7 brocades and the Yang Style is the "new" yang style, similar to the one standardized in 1956 by the PRC wushu, although there are a lot of differences, mostly stances and intent and the form itself is older and comes almost directly from Yang Chen Fu as well. I also do Yang 103/104.
    Some Shaolin long fist training and some Chin Na.

Something similar to this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW9s2adm0Yc&feature=related

My intention here is simply to have some people to train with and to pass on what I already know and to discover more about TC, this is not a commercial venture in any shape or form. Simply people training in a park for fun.
    You are welcome to come along...when the weather improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 zappazappa

Bealtine

Thanks for the reply. I would like to know more about your difficulty with the stepping, though. Since JDIATCC tai chi is Yang Family Tai Chi we follow the principles laid down by Yang Chen fu, and in relation to moving (stepping) we adhere to the following:
    Fen Xu Shi (Distinguishing between substantial and insubstantial) When one’s weight is on the right, the right leg becomes substantial and the left leg insubstantial, or vice versa. When one is able to distinguish the difference, one will be able to turn and move with lightness and effortlessness. If not, any steps will be sluggish and unstable and can easily be unbalanced by others.
    In other words, we continuously shift the weight when moving thus allowing the other leg (empty/insubstantial) to step. We do not lift the toes, as in for ex. The Beijing 24 Form, since this action uproots the energy and raises the center (Dan Tien), leading to weak and unstable structure.

With regard to the Intention, yes, I agree with you, however, if your structure (shape of the form) is not strong and stable, then all the intention in the world will not make it effective as a fighting technique. Yang Chen Fu’s Principle is:
    Yong Yi Bu Yong Li (Using Yi or intention and not physical strength) The whole body must be relaxed so that no physical strength remains within the sinews and bones to restrict one’s power. Only then will one be light and flexible, and move accordingly. Any movement in a small part of the body will affect the whole body. Using the mind or Yi, Chi will flow to where it is directed.

Another point, and this also applies to the YouTube video you posted, is the use of the eyes. The eyes play a fundamental role in extending the Yi (Intention), and since Tai Chi is a martial art, it is of great importance that you always know where your opponent is, otherwise you get hit. The practitioners in the video were looking at the ground, or their own hands (try and block an incoming punch while looking at your own hand sometime!) or even looking backwards during the execution of the form.
    So, next time you train, try pushing someone (using brush knee push for ex.) while looking at the ground, then repeat the exercise but this time look at the other person and express your Intention through the eyes. I would be very surprised if you didn’t notice a difference.

Do drop into our club sometime in the New Year, check the website for dates/times, and we’ll discuss things further.

Brian

zappazappa wrote: »
    Bealtine

Thanks for the reply. I would like to know more about your difficulty with the stepping, though. Since JDIATCC tai chi is Yang Family Tai Chi we follow the principles laid down by Yang Chen fu, and in relation to moving (stepping) we adhere to the following:
    Fen Xu Shi (Distinguishing between substantial and insubstantial) When one’s weight is on the right, the right leg becomes substantial and the left leg insubstantial, or vice versa. When one is able to distinguish the difference, one will be able to turn and move with lightness and effortlessness. If not, any steps will be sluggish and unstable and can easily be unbalanced by others.
    In other words, we continuously shift the weight when moving thus allowing the other leg (empty/insubstantial) to step. We do not lift the toes, as in for ex. The Beijing 24 Form, since this action uproots the energy and raises the center (Dan Tien), leading to weak and unstable structure.

With regard to the Intention, yes, I agree with you, however, if your structure (shape of the form) is not strong and stable, then all the intention in the world will not make it effective as a fighting technique. Yang Chen Fu’s Principle is:
    Yong Yi Bu Yong Li (Using Yi or intention and not physical strength) The whole body must be relaxed so that no physical strength remains within the sinews and bones to restrict one’s power. Only then will one be light and flexible, and move accordingly. Any movement in a small part of the body will affect the whole body. Using the mind or Yi, Chi will flow to where it is directed.

Another point, and this also applies to the YouTube video you posted, is the use of the eyes. The eyes play a fundamental role in extending the Yi (Intention), and since Tai Chi is a martial art, it is of great importance that you always know where your opponent is, otherwise you get hit. The practitioners in the video were looking at the ground, or their own hands (try and block an incoming punch while looking at your own hand sometime!) or even looking backwards during the execution of the form.
    So, next time you train, try pushing someone (using brush knee push for ex.) while looking at the ground, then repeat the exercise but this time look at the other person and express your Intention through the eyes. I would be very surprised if you didn’t notice a difference.

Do drop into our club sometime in the New Year, check the website for dates/times, and we’ll discuss things further.

Brian

A bit off topic for here so if I may I will take this to prvmsg....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Ms K Sir A

bealtine wrote: »
    Expecting you there too:)

Like I told you before... it's the outdoors thing.... I am both a cold creature and a typical shy of public display Irish lass... I'm not saying no.... just.... a BIG maybe... :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lil Frog

Hi Bealtine

Just found your post, I have been looking for something just like Tai Chi for grounding and exercise.

With the great spring weather we are having I am wondering if you were considering your informal sessions?

Lil Frog
    Emo

Advertisement