Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

betfair exchange room in co.westmeath

Options
  • 20-11-2008 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hello there lads
    im thinking of putting a betfair trading room onto the end of my bookmakers. athlone mullingar and tullamore all within close proximity to the trading room. i dont know will people come and use the trading room.it will cost me little to set up but i am just wondering will anyone come and use it.
    as all people know sis and turf tv are a couple of seconds ahead of attheraces and turf tv and gives in-running punters the extra edge.that why people use trading rooms but i am just wondering is anyone in the midlands interested in using a trading room??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

Surely that would cost you turnover, even if you were getting commission from Betfair?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dshez

well you would charge people to use the seat.the going rate is £30 - 50 pounds sterling in the uk and the only place in ireland is charging €40.00. its very hard for a bookmaker to guarantee €40.00 euros profit off any customer.
    now im not saying that what i would charge but im just wondering is there any interest in it.
    also with this doubling of tax betting duty it will be very hard for independents to stay alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭bookiebasher

yes i think there would be a few takers in them areas

sorry there in my first comment i wrote turf tv is faster than turf tv. what i meant to say was turf tv is faster than racing uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

dshez wrote: »
    well you would charge people to use the seat.the going rate is £30 - 50 pounds sterling in the uk and the only place in ireland is charging €40.00. its very hard for a bookmaker to guarantee €40.00 euros profit off any customer.
    now im not saying that what i would charge but im just wondering is there any interest in it.
    also with this doubling of tax betting duty it will be very hard for independents to stay alive.

Betting tax increase is on hold.

Tbh I wouldn't say there is the scope for this in the midlands just yet. Not enough people are clued into betfair for this to be viable imo. The serious punters who would be doing in-running betting will already have a home sub to Turf TV and SiS.

• Advertisement

well you can say serious in-running punters can have sis and turf tv privately but sis as a private subscription is over €10 000 euros a year and turf tv is £6 500 pounds sterling a year for anyone who wants it.
    its a lot of dollars to be a couple of seconds faster so i dont think too many in-running punters would have sis and turf tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

people travel miles to get to the cardiff trading room that you mention. The shannon trading room has started to take off, the main thing you need to do is promote it well.

For those who dont know what it is, you literally set your bet amount before the race starts, and you are 1 click away from in running betting were you will see things as fast as anyone out there. This will gain you a massive advantage (over fences etc) and means if you are a clever the potential profit is massive.

I'll try and find a good article on it now . . .

thanks very much semi bluff for posting a link to that article in the irish independent.

it was vey interesting and very helpful.

thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Advertisement

no hassle at all - give me a pm if you have any other Q's

Donal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Magdeline

what about one opening in dublin

do you reckon there would be a demand for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

I visited the Shannon one some time back and done a small write up on Let's Bet (post number 8 in the below thread).

http://www.letsbet.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=4017

yeh, i think there is talk of one on the outskirts . . . but worth contacting them - if seriously interested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Surely that would cost you turnover, even if you were getting commission from Betfair?

Not really, the people interested in a trading room wouldn't be betting in shops, only when possibly on a good e/w race, when the bookie wouldn't want the bet anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Worth trying it out IMO, The initial set up costs are small. Promotion is the key.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Sounds a good idea , i bet in Mullingar at the greyhounds and it is old fashioned betting area.

In the climate we are in it would be one maybe for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

I'm from athlone myself - live in dublin but would be interested in using the facility on both weekend days ant time I'm home. Private mail me the details if you would like any further details / discussion. Cheers

Advertisement