Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch family bikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

the gazelle cabby looks cool and functional

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think Unionman was talking about these a while ago.

Last one looks ok but I don't like the look of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Have you checked out pashley? My lady friend has one and its the sheet. They're not cheap but your grandchildrens grandchildren will be able to pass it on to their grandchildren.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

'68 wrote:
    Have you checked out pashley? My lady friend has one and its the sheet.

Which one?

I saw this on CycleSuperstore's used page (and "in the flesh") but wife wasn't impressed ("it looks like a kids bike!").

img57.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

The Princess Classic www.pashley.co.uk/lists/classic-bicycles.html

I think it was 600 clams delivered. Its really old school. Sturmney archer 3 speed. Drum brakes. Step through. She's had it for two years and uses it almost everyday and I've only had to fix one puncture for her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

'68 wrote:

I think it was 600 clams delivered. Its really old school. Sturmney archer 3 speed. Drum brakes. Step through. She's had it for two years and uses it almost everyday and I've only had to fix one puncture for her!

...and it still looks brand new. 'Tis a lovely bike no question.

I have a real grá for these kind of bikes I must say. It's really impressive to see how well they work in Amsterdam as family transport. The first one the OP put up there has some sort of weird drum just in front of the first passenger seat. Storage? Suspension? Anyway, some lovely eccentricity and practicality in those designs.

Here's another link to a site that sells authentic Dutch bikes (expensive mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

unionman wrote: »
    The first one the OP put up there has some sort of weird drum just in front of the first passenger seat. Storage? Suspension?

I have no idea, but I like to think it's for transporting tulips.
    unionman wrote: »
    Here's another link to a site that sells authentic Dutch bikes (expensive mind)

Not all expensive, at least as far as premium traditional bikes are concerned. This one looks like a candidate:

FAMILY.jpg

Only problem is that the front seat will only be useful for one more year, then there will be a spare toddler problem (youngest is 15 months now).

I think the eccentricity and double-child aspects really appeal, which points to either the Fietsfabriek Pack Max Duo or the Gazelle Cargo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Lumen wrote: »
    I have no idea, but I like to think it's for transporting tulips.

Nice one:D

Let us know what you go for and how they work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

'68 wrote:

Why so pricey for a bog-standard bike though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Sorry to hijack a thread but.....

Has anyone seen classic dutch bikes / Pashley types made from aluminium?

My current bike is a cheapy mountain bike so its really heavy for me, and from what you guys have said before I think the frame is too big as well, so I'm thinking of getting a new one after Christmas.

I love the riding style of the dutch bikes, the sitting upright and all that, but cant seem to find any that are lightish.

I think I seen somewhere cruiser types are were aluminium, but I hired out one of those in Barcelona and while it was wonderful for there, it didnt seem the most maneuverable so wasnt sure how it would do in traffic and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

why do the dutch have mountain bikes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Have read down through this thread, some good links.

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-350569.html

I'm in the market for a dutch bike myself. I might just go over for a weekend and buy one while I'm there.

Advertisement