Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Show Of The Week 14: The Shield

Options
  • 20-11-2008 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just back from a business trip, and decided to take the first half of season 1 of this show away with me to see what all the fuss was about. Ended up watching the first 4 back to back on my first night away. I knew by the end of Episode 1 that this show was something special - it was a real "Holy Sh*t" moment that I didn't see coming.

So with 6½ seasons ahead of me, what do I have to look forward to? Does it get better? Stay the same? Whats the peak of the show? From my glimpses at the Season 7 thread (avoiding spoilers), I definitely get the impression that its as strong now as it was back in 2002 (if not stronger).

I politely ask that any major plot twists in the show be spoiler-tagged please. Its going to take me a few months to catch up! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Season 5 is probably the strongest season, but if I was to watch it all again, maybe season 7 pips it. It's the best thing on TV for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Definitely gets better and more twisted.
    When you get into the whole money train thing and the friction with Asaveda (sp?)
    it really gets going....but they still wind it up even more.
    Excellent show and probably my Best On TV until The Wire came along. I still hold it above the wire in certain respects...I love the handheld video thing, the grittiness of the LA suburbs where they film, the music and the whole "cops being total bastards but decent guys all the same"...I also like how they developed characters like the uniforms and informants, some of the later stories exploring
    Vik's kids having autism, the whole male rape thing and Forest Whittaker's Internal affair's guy
    are fairly unprecedented in TV cop shows and add to the realism...some of the shockers in S5 and S6 are jaw dropping.

I've watched through the whole thing ('cept series 7) about 3 times now. Anything I can rewatch like that I consider almost perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

I cant say enough of this show, I watched the first few series back to back as well. It has some serious breath holding moments, Forrest Whittakers run in the show resulted in some brill tv for me. As the previous posters have said, its nearly perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RastaRed

Quality television, only 2nd to the Wire as the best TV show of all time.
    Vic Mackey is a legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I started re-watching from the beginning, for the 3rd time, back in January because I thought that season 7 was going to be on in April and I wanted to have the whole thing fresh when I started on the final series. There was a couple of months break then, because season 7 didn't start till two months ago, but it's still all good.

If you liked the first half of season one, then you ain't seen nothing yet, and you won't be disappointed by the rest of it. Season 5 was really the highlight, particularly the end of it. You won't believe what happens, and really try to avoid any kind of spoilers or information until you get to that part. Don't read anything on TV.com or IMDB, just to be safe. That was until the penultimate episode on season 7, and the whole show. I think that may have just trumped the event in season 5, but only just. Forrest Whittaker was also class in that series, and for some of series 6 too. Since it's coming to an end, you know there's going to be some mad reveals, but it's fantastic stuff to watch.

It's not as real as The Wire, but it's certainly far more gritty, and brutal. Although these shows do get compared a lot, they're nothing alike, except they're about cops. If you like one, you'll probably like the other though.

"Delicious feet" :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

agree with all the above really, season 1,4,5 and 7 for me but they are all great. Loved the Glenn Close stuff too and she probably got to do damages because of her peformance.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent, excellent show. Now that "The Wire" is not on TV, this is my favourite show. It's the only one that I need peace and quiet to watch, especially now as we're heading for the home run.

"The Shield" stands out for its gritty, hard-nosed nature and characters with very ambiguous morales. Vic McKay - you don't know whether you should like or loathe him for some of the things he and his Strike Team get up. There's also great character building over the seasons as the plots and details become more intricate, leading to great pay off for fans in the latter seasons (especially S5 and S7... just to tease Mr. E further).

One of the few shows to remain quality throughout all it seasons - no low points, only high ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

My favourite TV show of all time. Gets better as the seasons go on, which is a rariety these days. Very few plot holes and the characters are as real as it gets.

It's a shame it has to end.... but its better then making a couple of mediocre seasons and it ending on a bad note.

One thing i will say, and i may be premature in saying it - i'm disgusted with the second last episode and with how it looks to be ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

amazing show.
    without a doubt my favourite of all time.

enjoy season 1, it's quite good, but season 2 is even better IMO. the first season was really just hitting it's stride, season 2 is full force.
    season 5 though is by far the best. everything about it was great. Forest Whitaker was brilliant in that, and there were fantastic performances by all the main characters, it was ridiculous that none of them won any major awards for their performances that year.

really sad that it'll be over for good in 2 days.

i've recommended it to about 20 people and all of them have loved it.

can't remember what prompted me to buy the boxset first, but once i did i was hooked, and it's one of the best investments i've ever made. have re-watched all the seasons a few times now.

the only other shows i'd put along side it are The Sopranos and The Wire, and although i think all 3 have their faults, The Shield just about edges both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Excellent underrated show

deserved lots of Emmy and Golden Globe Awards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 InDemand

With the final series having just ended, now is the perfect time to get yourself down the shop and pick up season 1 on DVD. Gripping, fast paced and controversial this show is highly recommended.
    ixoy wrote: »
    characters with very ambiguous morales.
    Boy you said it.
    deserved lots of Emmy and Golden Globe Awards
    It'll be a travesty if it doesn't get more for this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Wexford Blue

Just this minute finished Season 7. Utterly brilliant, I can't choose between The Wire, Sopranos and The Shield for all my time favourite but it's safe to say we've been spoilt for quality tv for a good few years now. I'm gutted I've finished The Shield but I've converted my sister and brother in law, but they're only on S3, not fair! I need to talk to someone about this but none of the mates are into it!
    Anyway - brilliance, S5 and S7 my favourite - lucky people to have so many hours in front of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

How is there not a permanent thread on THe Shield? Just finished Season 7 brilliant ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Bren1609 wrote: »
    How is there not a permanent thread on THe Shield? Just finished Season 7 brilliant ending.

one here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055395714

Advertisement