Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper SKY tv

Options
  • 20-11-2008 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

We were on an everything package(€71), with feeling the pinch decided to downgrade to just bonus + kids (€21).

chap on phone gave us the current deal for €41 for the next 3 months.

Saved €90.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

They do that all the time you were going to downgrade to a pack that costs €21 yet by the time you are of the phone you are paying €41 i no its cheaper then what you were paying but i don't really see it as a bargain if you are paying €20 more then you had planed to by downgrading

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

Well I suppose you can make it a bargain by phoning up with no intention of actually downgrading to a lower plan in the hope that they offer you some money off your full subscription for a few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Dr. Dodger wrote: »
    Well I suppose you can make it a bargain by phoning up with no intention of actually downgrading to a lower plan in the hope that they offer you some money off your full subscription for a few months?
    What if they call your bluff?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭derek2222_ie

just gave them a call there and asked them to downgrade from Sky world to the basic package. They didnt offer me anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

just gave them a call there and asked them to downgrade from Sky world to the basic package. They didnt offer me anything :(

Try getting the missus to do it.

• Advertisement

They do that all the time you were going to downgrade to a pack that costs €21 yet by the time you are of the phone you are paying €41 i no its cheaper then what you were paying but i don't really see it as a bargain if you are paying €20 more then you had planed to by downgrading

we want the €70, we got it for €40. Hows that not a bargain?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Tell them you want to cancel you sky altogether and they will offer you something.

I'm paying €54 a month for everything. Have to keep it for a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

No doubt if you take the offer for €40 you will automaticallybe in a new 12 month contract.

Not really a bargain tbf.

Definately not the case. No mention of new contract.

Blimey, you folks are tough today.

For the next 3 months I am spending €30 a month less on the same product and you dont see it as a bargain?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Tell them you want to cancel you sky altogether and they will offer you something.

I'm paying €54 a month for everything. Have to keep it for a year now.
    That sounds like a good offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

I really dont know why you all even bother with the Sky rip off merchants?
    Just cancel all your subs and you will have a load of Free to air channels left to watch,-enough for anyone. You also get channel FIVE now but Sky have not told you how to get it...go to services + press 4 + press 4 again, then put in freq-10773, pol H, then below that 22000,then below that 5/6 and press find-when it is found press the yellow button to save it and then it will be in other channels from now on...SKY.? MORE LIKE SLY!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

ch750536 wrote: »
    Definately not the case. No mention of new contract.

Blimey, you folks are tough today.

For the next 3 months I am spending €30 a month less on the same product and you dont see it as a bargain?

Yeah it's a bargain for you. But doesn't really help any1 else. Not every1 who rings up is going to be offered a better deal. What you're doing is gloating.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭djb85

At the moment SKY have 3 different prices for Sports(€53),Movies(€50) or Sport+Movies(€63). Then you add how many 'Packs' you want. These packs include News, Music, Children, Documentary, Variety, Style & Culture. Each pack roughly costing an additional €2.

I had all the channels (€71), Called up with he intention off cutting out the Movies and reducing to just 4 packs instead of the original 6 (Style Culture + Kids channels never get watched).

The guy on the phone did this, with the new price being €57.
    He then offered me either:
    1. 10% off for 6 months.
    2. 20% off for 12 months. (took this one)

So you are tied into a contract for that duration.
    Ended up saving €11.40 for the next 12 months (€136.80)

Definitely worth a phone call and asking are there any offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

thats not bad at all djb85. And going into a new contract isn't so bad any as sky r def the best tv provider. Miles ahead of NTL/Chorus so its not like yur getting a bad product

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

From the moment you order Sky, you can get it cheaper. Anyone who orders Sky, just ring before the installation date and say you want to cancel the install and they'll give you 20% off for either 6 months or 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Simi wrote: »
    But doesn't really help any1 else. Not every1 who rings up is going to be offered a better deal. What you're doing is gloating.

Anyone who rings sky and asks to cancel will be be offered a better deal,they have staff members who spend all their working hours doing this.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭positron

I rang them last week to cancel Sky, and they offered me a better deal, cheaper Sky Plus or something like that but that would have tied me down with them for another 12 months - but I was so p*ssed off by having to wait on phone for 30 mins to get to their 'Cancellation section', I went ahead and canceled it altogether. Now I just have to put up with all their 'come back please' offers on mail...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

They ring me about once a month asking if i want to upgrade to all sports and movies for half price for 3 months.

Better for them to take the hit for 3 months on the very good chance that you will forget, or wont want to reduce the package when it goes back to full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Simi wrote: »
    Yeah it's a bargain for you. But doesn't really help any1 else. Not every1 who rings up is going to be offered a better deal. What you're doing is gloating.

I don't believe that the OP had anything other than the best intentions when they took the time to post here.

- OP thanks for you input; I'm sure it will be appreciated by some......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Raiser wrote: »
    I don't believe that the OP had anything other than the best intentions when they took the time to post here.

- OP thanks for you input; I'm sure it will be appreciated by some......

agreed

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

muincav wrote: »
    I really dont know why you all even bother with the Sky rip off merchants?
    Just cancel all your subs and you will have a load of Free to air channels left to watch,-enough for anyone. You also get channel FIVE now but Sky have not told you how to get it...go to services + press 4 + press 4 again, then put in freq-10773, pol H, then below that 22000,then below that 5/6 and press find-when it is found press the yellow button to save it and then it will be in other channels from now on...SKY.? MORE LIKE SLY!
    Any more channels out there that we're unaware of?

Have the basic Sky Package and extra channels are always good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Im trying to get through to them here and have been on hold for 20 minutes listening to their ****e quality music. Is there anyone there at this time of night? It says there is until 11 for new customers but nothing about existing customers :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

Tony wrote: »
    agreed
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Sleepy wrote: »
    Any more channels out there that we're unaware of?

Have the basic Sky Package and extra channels are always good :)

Yes there are all the regional BBC and ITV channels which a lot of people dont recieve or even know about.....there are not a lot of variations in the schedule of these channels but there are some--e.g. sometimes BBC show Scottish FA Cup football live, usually when CELTIC or rangers are playing--or bowls and other sports and a host of regional programmes--also some programmes start later on the regions so kinda act as a +1type channel.
    for the frequencies go to - www.flysat.com or www.kingofsat.com or probably the best known (but not the best i.m.o) www.lyngsat.com

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

My signal failed during the week and when I rang I got the ... "Your out of warranty as your subscription is over 1 year old so it'll be a €100 call out fee for the engineer and we cant give you any indication as to when he'll be out". speil. Fúck that I said and asked to be put through to cancellations. Eventually got through to them and told them its a disgrace that I should be penalised for being a continuing customer and as NTL are offering a good package deal in my area I'd like to cancel my Sky subscription and move to NTL. After a brief chat with a supervisor they were glad to tell me an engineer would be out the next day at no cost :D

Now to hassle them into giving me free sports and movies :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I rang again today to three different people and none of them were going to offer me anything so I just canceled. So thats a total of an hour on the phone and over €15 wasted of my phone credit. Im not one bit happy with all the messing about I had to do in the end. Their customer service is crap and they arent even able to transfer to different departments!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

BFassassin wrote: »
    I rang again today to three different people and none of them were going to offer me anything so I just canceled. So thats a total of an hour on the phone and over €15 wasted of my phone credit. Im not one bit happy with all the messing about I had to do in the end. Their customer service is crap and they arent even able to transfer to different departments!!

I noticed recently if you are put through to UK offices yoou have a good chance but if you are through to the new Irish office you have no chance as they don't seem to be as up to be able to offer reductions like the UK office.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,579 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Got through to the Cork office earlier.
    Was offered 10% off for 6 months (No commitment) or 20% off for 12 months (12 month contract)
    Pretty poor offers to be fair.
    I was offered Sky+ for 49 euro with free installation.Again a 12 month contract.
    Funnily enough I told the rep that they could replace my dish if I upgraded to Sky + as it was old and rusty.
    She said it was 180 euro for a new dish to which I burst into laughter .180 euro for a dish !
    Setanta are much better for deals .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

We cancelled a few months back and there was no hard sell, no special offers. They haven't been bugging us to come back either. I feel left out now :P

• Advertisement

Was offered 10% off for 6 months (No commitment) or 20% off for 12 months (12 month contract)
    Pretty poor offers to be fair.
    I was offered Sky+ for 49 euro with free installation.

71*12*0.2= €170 saving, seems a great deal to me!

Sky plus box is well worth the €49, is a brilliant piece of kit and unmatched in PVR's in my opinion.

Advertisement