Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another reason not to use cycle lanes...

Options
  • 20-11-2008 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

because they're full of crap this time of the year, mainly leaves and branches, one of which i clipped this morning, flicking it into my back wheel and ultimately ripping the rear der. off... this on top of a puncture yesterday evening directly attributably to the detrius left behind by roadworks on the enniskerry road...

it really sucks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Ripped the derailler off ! Sheesh, that's bad luck alright, fairly harsh.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes, some lanes are almost invisible at this time of year with the dead leaves.

The Enniskerry Road bike lane is lethal for another reason too. Roadside foliage is so overgrown that you risk getting your face slashed by briars if you ride in the bike lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

el tonto wrote: »

The Enniskerry Road bike lane is lethal for another reason too. Roadside foliage is so overgrown that you risk getting your face slashed by briars if you ride in the bike lane.

Been there myself. Front brake is out of bounds on wet leaves and Ive lost the left sleeve of more than one decent jacket to those briars. Has anyone ever had a successful claim for damage caused by these conditions? Ive read about a woman who claimed for a new car wheel after she hit a pothole and totaled a rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I find the obscuring of pot holes and the like to be a real pain in the backside, literally. I had a bad "Ker-thunk!" there when I cycled through a leafy lane and couldn't see the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

el tonto wrote: »

The offending sections are not technically bike lanes- the bit towards Dublin from Stepaside to the roundabout is unsignposted (although there are a few bike symbols painted on the ground.) The bit from the roundabout on towards Lambs Cross actually has a "Cycle Lane Ends" sign just after the roundabout (although it never "started" :D) and the rest of what you might think is a cycle lane is definitely just the side of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

<
    Has had 4 punctures in as many days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

<
    Has had 4 punctures in as many days :(

^ needs to get new tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

↓↓ is right you know.
    ^ needs to get new tyres

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 shamama

Forget leaves on the road, how about damage form broken bus shelter glass...do those wasters have nothing better to do with their blinkin time than break all the blinkin glass in all the blinkin shelters?!?!?

Sorry, guess it's not seasonal...but it still causes puntures and this week seemed to be worse for some reason. Tis the season!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Cant see the shards of glass through the leave, so i guess the season does add its owns risks in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭call d

why do you need a bike lane? get out on the road, what are you ten?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

call d wrote: »
    why do you need a bike lane? get out on the road, what are you ten?

Don't you know bike lanes are mandatory to cycle in? Educate yourself, what are you, illiterate ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Verb wrote: »
    Don't you know bike lanes are mandatory to cycle in? Educate yourself, what are you, illiterate ?
    picture.php?albumid=105&pictureid=360
    But, when it's blocked you can use the road as long as you indicate by holding your right arm out, riding into oncoming traffic, controlling your bike with one hand on the bars.

mandatory when it suits the cyclist, why have them when cyclists contribute nothing to the upkeep of the roads or the pavements for that matter where most of these lanes are getting pushed to.

Oh crap! I knew I forgot to pay my pedestrian tax this year, and I have to walk through town tmw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Oh crap! I knew I forgot to pay my pedestrian tax this year, and I have to walk through town tmw!

Noooooooo Dirk, don't do it - DON'T FEED THE TROLL :P:D

But, but I can't resist!

I think this thread is useful not just for pointing out dangerous junctions but showing the more casual or inexperienced cyclist how to deal with some of these shockingly designed and potentially dangerous junctions.

why have them when cyclists contribute nothing to the upkeep of the roads or the pavements
    This statement is untrue.

But, but I can't resist!
    But you must try!!! Haha.

Anyway, that's enough OT.

I think this thread is useful not just for pointing out dangerous junctions but showing the more casual or inexperienced cyclist how to deal with some of these shockingly designed and potentially dangerous junctions.

I think something that the casual cyclist should keep in the back of his/her mind is if they come to a junction for the first time and it doesn't look totally safe - they should dismount. The next time they'll not need to, as they'll know the junction.

then maybe you could advise them how to use the bike lanes that encroach on pavements because the behaviour of some of these idiots is just unbeleivable.

• Advertisement

This statement is untrue.
    what do they contribute?

what do they contribute?
    Tax, just like everyone else.

Here we go...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Do-not-feed-the-troll.PNG

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

mandatory when it suits the cyclist, why have them when cyclists contribute nothing to the upkeep of the roads or the pavements for that matter where most of these lanes are getting pushed to.

Yes, because all cyclists work in jobs that pay so little that they don't get taxed. Otherwise they would be driving beamers, right? :rolleyes:

Nuts, this is why one shouldn't consume copious amounts of red wine followed by internet rants. I got the "leaf" and "junction" threads mixed up :(

I'm amazed no one picked up on how OT my thread was!!!

School children don't pay tax, therefore I propose that we close down all the useless public schools and turn them into smelting plants, put the little buggers to work!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

2967943002_a9b65d340f_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

I've noticed El Tonto, has been playing with photoshop recently(or some other proggy of that nature). The funny thing is, it gets to the point.
    nice choice of pics there, I love the cat one:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cyclists contribute nothing to the upkeep of the roads or the pavements for that matter where most of these lanes are getting pushed to.
    Have you never heard of cycletrack tax? all cyclists must pay cycletrack tax, just like all motorists pay roadtax, both cost the exact same too. The cycletrack tax is the only source of money for the upkeep of the cycletracks, just like no money other than roadtax pays for the road building etc.

Luckily nobody has to pay both since bicycle owners and car owners are a different species which are mutually exclusive.

There is no pedestrian tax yet which is very odd, dunno where the money is coming from that pays for footpaths & flyovers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement