Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So close to a million! (not me sadly)

Options
  • 20-11-2008 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Someone in Galway reported via irish-racing.com
    A mystery Galway punter has narrowly missed out on becoming Paddy Power's biggest ever winner.

The Athenry man, who has yet to collect his prize, recently scooped E107,550 when four of the five horses he had picked as part of a E130 Super Yankee (fiver unit stake, 26 bets) bet came in first.

However, the windfall was bittersweet as had the final horse won, his Jackpot would have increased to a whopping E1,077,705.

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

Would have been nice if the 5th had come up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

God, imagine being that close to winning a million from a €130 bet. Fair play to him anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

€100k isn't to be sniffed at! The million would be nice though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

A million? What's the max payout in a Paddy Power shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

dsmythy wrote: »

I thought it was somewhere between 250K-400K, maybe because they took the bet there's some loophole?..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Of course they pay out on large bets like this because they will have layed it off as the bet developed.

Bets like this coming up trumps for bookies are great marketing with calculated loss. Every fool and their mother will think they can get up a yankee or Canadian. The reality is very few ever do. I am never too sure why the payout limits are there.

Presumably this punter would have layed Valerius (3.10 Cheltenham 15th Nov) his final horse for a few a fair whack in the half an hour leading up to the race when he knew he was waiting on it for the difference between 100k and 1m. It was a hot enough 2nd favourite with McCoy aboard so there would be no shortage of money for it.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Presumably this punter would have layed Valerius (3.10 Cheltenham 15th Nov) his final horse for a few a fair whack in the half an hour leading up to the race when he knew he was waiting on it for the difference between 100k and 1m. It was a hot enough 2nd favourite with McCoy aboard so there would be no shortage of money for it.

I hope he did. Although putting 130 on a super yankee in what is probably his regular shop may indicate he doesn't do much laying. Hopefully that's not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭SuperHans

Would it not be extremely difficult to lay for such a large amount? If you were doing it on betfair you would have to get a large amount of money online in a short time. Then you'd have to get all the money matched on the market. Am i missing something or is it easier than I think?

SuperHans wrote: »
    Would it not be extremely difficult to lay for such a large amount? If you were doing it on betfair you would have to get a large amount of money online in a short time. Then you'd have to get all the money matched on the market. Am i missing something or is it easier than I think?

He doesn't have to lay that much. Just get whatever he can get matched i guess if he was so inclined. Maybe he didn't bother anyway since he was already winning plenty regardless of the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

dsmythy wrote: »

Max payout is now 1 million with Powers, Ladbrokes and I think Hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Healio wrote: »
    Max payout is now 1 million with Powers, Ladbrokes and I think Hills.

is this for anything?
    like if i horse is 9/1 can one put 100K on him, cause i've noticed in the past there are max bets for when betting online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

€1 million is correct for Paddypower online, are you sure it is correct for retail shops? Also it depends somewhat on the bet and the coverage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Sorry should have been a bit clearer, its a million for any sort of accum. A bet of 500,000 @ evens or 100,000 @ 9/1 will come under the maximum stake allowed and willl not be taken, AFAIK the max bet that they will take is around the 30/40 thousand mark unless you're a serial bad punter with endless pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Yea certain players average bets of minimum 50k... so if they wanna increase it for a certain race, their bookmaker will take it after its refered to the traders and they give it a green light!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

There was a guy earlier this year that won a million on a 50p accum with Hills despite having odds of 2.8m/1. Payout would have 1.4m was it not for the cap on winnings. Still, 1M is ok I guess:D

Advertisement