Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touchscreen Kiosk application

Options
  • 20-11-2008 11:26am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭

A friend of mine is looking to develop a touchscreen kiosk application aimed at tourists passing through a mid-size west of Ireland town. He wants them to be able to see a map of the town pinpointing the various shops and services.

Does anyone have any experience of the hardware / software side of this kind of project? Two Irish companies I found so far are -

http://www.touchpoint.ie/

http://www.icetech.ie/kiosk/index.htm

Are there others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Develop or Buy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

hobochris wrote: »
    Develop or Buy?

Well I guess the software, certainly the map, will be application specific so I presume 'develop'. Or are there turnkey solutions for that kind of thing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I remember something similar at Dublin airport. Maybe you could contact the management there and ask about the equipment suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It can be surprisingly simple enough. Touchscreens don't necessarily require any special coding skills or the like, each "touch" on the screen is treated like a mouse click. So it should be possible to develop the application on a normal machine and then just transfer it to a touchscreen kiosk.

If Google Maps had adequate mapping of the town, you could develop a web page interface that used the Google Maps API to pinpoint the various services and perhaps even give directions to the user on how to get there from the kiosk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Our company, Tricycle Interactive Ltd. (www.tricycle.ie), do a lot of touchscreen installation and app development if you want to give us a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

@KerranJast thanks. I just tried calling your office twice and got "no-one available to take your call"... and it's well after lunchtime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

trap4 wrote: »
    @KerranJast thanks. I just tried calling your office twice and got "no-one available to take your call"... and it's well after lunchtime :)
    Ha sorry about that. We took lunch from 2-3 today. Working on a big job today. If you PM me I'll give you the MDs personal number.

Advertisement