Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help Regarding Synthesizers

Options
  • 20-11-2008 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hey,
    I'm looking to buy a synthesizer to use in a band, but I really have no idea which ones are best and so on.

We play Mainstream Rock and pop/rock....The Killers would be an influence.

Looking to spend maybe 4-500 on a synth.

Is there any synths around that where you could download/modify effects on a pc and then get it on your synth?

Any suggestions or tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Creeping-Death

Roland SH-201, mate of mine has one, tis modelled on the old classic 80's synths.. saw one on ebay for $600, whatever that is in euro

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Enda08

For serious tweaking you could also consider the Laptop + cheap Midi controller/Kboard route. Some of the free VST synths on the web are great! :cool:
    Though not really a *synth* (nor very tweakable) we've abandoned Tritons, etc, in favour of Roland RS-5's (cheap s/h) for basic bread & butter sounds, plus they'd have some of the sounds you're looking for already in presets. They just sit nicely in the mix without any EQ so y' can go a bit mad without wiping out the whole band! :D... I'm not sure if the new cheap Juno takes up where the RS-5's left off..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Roland SH-201, mate of mine has one, tis modelled on the old classic 80's synths.. saw one on ebay for $600, whatever that is in euro

I've heard that aint great really as far as synths go. You're better off going with the sh-101, the original from the 80s. You can only really get it off ebay.

I know a load of people with MicroKorgs, they're pretty class, and only 320 from playback europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

For use with a live rock band Roland and Korg have some nice low end synths like the ones mentioned above (microkorgs pretty focused on dance tho) and i've always had any of the Roland Junos range (Junos-D is very cheap now and very versatile) or the Korg X5D or X50 are great keyboards. If you can afford a Korg TR or any of the M range they're amazing. Just get into MusicMaker or Waltons and have a jam.

Yamaha or Casio never did it for me, forget trying to play them through a PA or Amp :)

Advertisement