Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the corrrect plain varnish for softwood skirting & architrave

Options
  • 20-11-2008 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

back at the diy agin, herself has me at it! I'm looking to find out what is the best varnish to put on skirting etc thats in 2 years and hasn't been coated.(i know, should have done it by now, wood all looks 100% still though) I heard that some varnishes leave it looking yellow??

I'm not looking to get a very pale finish but definitely don't want yellow, or herself won't anyway? Also, whats the best way to sand these (machine, paper type?) and what filler do I use for the skirting that wasnt originally fixed or which runs along the wall leaving a gap.

Lastly, I have a lovely stairs that also needs a varnish, should I get that professionally done or could I do it? Thanks in advance.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

I would use an clear interior varnish on the skirting. if its a tall skirting board you can use a power sander on the flats but dont let it touch the moulding as this will leave flats on them. all mouldings need to be sanded by hand. varnishing the stairs is no biggy really. just varnish from the bottom up be fore you go to bed and it should be grand in the morning as long as theres no heavy traffic on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

If the skirtings are left natural (ie no stains or such applied) then they will go yellow over time, you cant stop that, they will mellow, wont happen all of a sudden once you apply the varnish, but over a number of years.

Get yourself some sanding blocks (you know the spongy blocks?) to get into the moldings on the skirtings, should do the job nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GubMan

If the skirtings are left natural (ie no stains or such applied) then they will go yellow over time, you cant stop that, they will mellow, wont happen all of a sudden once you apply the varnish, but over a number of years.

Get yourself some sanding blocks (you know the spongy blocks?) to get into the moldings on the skirtings, should do the job nicely.

Thanks Lads,

Luckily, herself wanted just a plain skirting so I've no mouldings which will make it easier, will take your suggestions on with regard to the job. Which clear varnish brand is considered best? They all appear to promise sun, moon and stars on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Get something by Ronseal, it apparently does exactly what it says on the tin! :p. Get yourself a decent brand varnish anyway.

Advertisement