Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Clubcard Deals - Irish Ferries withdrawing from scheme

Options
  • 19-11-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭

Not a Bargain Alert as such, but there's been much discussion of the Tesco Clubcard Deals on here and a number of posters have said they plan to use their points to go to France, so this is relevant:

http://www.tesco.ie/clubcarddeals/irish-ferries.html
    Please note that the Irish Ferries Rosslare/Cherbourg and Rosslare/Roscoff routes will not be available through Tesco Clubcard Deals from the end of May 2009. If you are planning to use your Deals Tokens for either of these routes you must ensure that they are ordered and travel is taken by 31st May 2009

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

That's terrible news :eek:
    Have €600 worth of tokens (worth €2,400) to go to France next Summer.
    That's ****** that idea now if it ends May 09.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

ah crap, had planned on going in June :mad:

Oh well, I'll get me some diesel with the tokens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

i dont believe it,i have been saving loads of these for ages so as to use them next summer to go to france.am really p$ssed off...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Same as above....wonder will they get another provider like Stena to take them...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

What will I do with €300 worth of vouchers now?
    The list of retailers is not getting any bigger :(
    wonder will they get another provider like Stena to take them...

Stena already take (for the moment).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

okidoki987 wrote: »
    What will I do with €300 worth of vouchers now?
    The list of retailers is not getting any bigger.

you can always spend them in Tesco (you don't get 4 times the value though)

Hotel breaks are also available, or as you mentioned, you can go to the UK with Stena.

I too had been planning to use a load of points to go to France, not sure if I can go before May 31st, but c'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

can someone give me a link to this offer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

If Stena still take them think about going landbridge through the UK. Boat to Holyhead (Stena), drive to Portsmouth and boat to Cherbourg (Brittany Ferries). Not idea but you will at least save something as it will be cheaper than getting the boat from Rosslare to Cherbourg.

It is also far quicker than the boat from Rosslare, especially now that there is a high speed link from Portsmouth to Cherbourg meaning if you can get the timings right you don't have to pay for a cabin. It takes about 1 hour 40 mins from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead, about 5 and a quarter hours driving from Holyhead to Portsmouth and about 3 hours on the crossing to Cherboug. Means you can do the whole thing from Dublin in around 15 hours which is alot less than driving to Rosslare and getting the ferry to Cherbourg (particularly if coming from Dublin or North of Dublin).

You could probably also get a decent enough fare on the UK - France leg with the weak sterling.

Anyway, hope it works out for people, just a suggested option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

delighted I came across this thread,as Im sure i wouls have been one of the idiots that would have tried to book in June knowing nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

johnfás wrote: »
    If Stena still take them think about going landbridge through the UK. Boat to Holyhead (Stena), drive to Portsmouth and boat to Cherbourg (Brittany Ferries). Not idea but you will at least save something as it will be cheaper than getting the boat from Rosslare to Cherbourg.

It is also far quicker than the boat from Rosslare, especially now that there is a high speed link from Portsmouth to Cherbourg meaning if you can get the timings right you don't have to pay for a cabin. It takes about 1 hour 40 mins from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead, about 5 and a quarter hours driving from Holyhead to Portsmouth and about 3 hours on the crossing to Cherboug. Means you can do the whole thing from Dublin in around 15 hours which is alot less than driving to Rosslare and getting the ferry to Cherbourg (particularly if coming from Dublin or North of Dublin).

You could probably also get a decent enough fare on the UK - France leg with the weak sterling.

Anyway, hope it works out for people, just a suggested option.

Or you could take the Channel Tunnel, only 30 minutes across to France.

• Advertisement

Yup that is another option but it would be about an hour further than to Portsmouth and it depends on where you are planning on going in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

you don't get 4 times the value though

That was the BIG attraction of it.

johnfás wrote: »

the DL-HH route is now 2 hours (they've slowed the HSS because of fuel costs). You'd also have the extra boarding time from having to roll on and off 2 different ferries, a risk of getting snared in traffic around Birmingham and an extra 4 or 5 hours driving (no fun if you have small kids). Getting the ferry from Rosslare (or Cork) means you're arriving in France in the morning, having had a nights sleep.

I suppose if it allows you to use your points for the ferry then it might be worth it, but even that wouldn't be enough to entice me to use Landbridge...

We went to France every year for about 10 years. We used to use Irish Ferries but we had a very bad experience with them in two directions one year. On the way over there was a problem with the boat's stabilisers coupled with the worst conditions we had ever experienced - crossing was a nightmare. On the way back the boat was cancelled so they sent us landbridge in the middle of the night. However, thereafter we used landbridge every year and never looked back. Haven't used it since they put the fast ferry on from Portsmouth though.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gip

First time I used clubcard vouchers was last August on Rosslare ferry to France. Was absolutely delighted, for family of four, an overpacked car with roof box the return trip to France only cost €220 in clubcard vouchers. I sent off clubcard vouchers to Tesco to convert to Irish Ferries vouchers on Monday last for next years holidays (like to be ahead of the posse) I spotted this post on Wednesday, I checked Tesco.ie site but still wasn't quite sure so I rang Tesco Ireland and they knew nothing about it, I rang Tesco England and they knew nothing about it either but rang me back to tell me Yep! Irish Ferries are pulling out of Clubcard Deals. I suppose it could be worse as I just have to send back my Irish Ferries vouchers and Tesco will reimburse my Clubcard account but it was just such a fantastic deal,nearly covered a third of the cost of the holiday. Will have to look elsewhere although there is a new Rosslare -France Ferry Service just after being launched last week so they might do a deal with Tesco??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I'd say the ferry company wasn't making any money from the offer.
    Any ideas of what Irish Ferries would gain from doing a deal like this with Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

gip wrote: »
    I just have to send back my Irish Ferries vouchers and Tesco will reimburse my Clubcard account but it was just such a fantastic deal

Just to note that you can use those vouchers on other deals withput sending them back. There is a code like R1234 on each deal. If your vouchers have an R code then you can use them against any other deal with an R code. As long as the letter matches the other deal, you can use.

Keep an eye on the date though as they usually expire within 6 months.

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Just to note that you can use those vouchers on other deals withput sending them back. There is a code like R1234 on each deal. If your vouchers have an R code then you can use them against any other deal with an R code. As long as the letter matches the other deal, you can use.

do you have a source for this - it doesn't say anything about it in the brochure or on the website.

anyway, you'd be hard pressed to spend €800 worth of vouchers in Apache Pizza or Insomnia ("400 Lattes please...")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭brosna

/do you have a source for this - it doesn't say anything about it in the brochure or on the website.

anyway, you'd be hard pressed to spend €800 worth of vouchers in Apache Pizza or Insomnia ("400 Lattes please...")[/QUOTE]

It is on the website. When you look at the the travel deals page that gives you an abbreviated description of Irish Ferries and Stena Line Deals you do not see any information on this. However when you click though the "More" button to get further information on Irish Ferries you are advised that the deal is finishing in May. Link to page below.

http://www.tesco.ie/clubcarddeals/irish-ferries.html

About this Deal
    Please note that the Irish Ferries Rosslare/Cherbourg and Rosslare/Roscoff routes will not be available through Tesco Clubcard Deals from the end of May 2009. If you are planning to use your Deals Tokens for either of these routes you must ensure that they are ordered and travel is taken by 31st May 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 14 unhappychappy

I saved all my tesco vouchers for ferry travel to uk. After pricing the trip not using my vouchers, then pricing the trip using my vouchers &ITS COSTING ALL MY VOUCHERS so I have saved up for no reason as I'm only €2 better off. How can they charge more when using your vouchers as I will be traveling same time/date etc. I am being ripped off & am sure every1 else is. I won't be exchanging my tesco vouchers again for ferry travel. I'm done being ripped off. Check the price before using your vouchers & I'm sure you trip will cost all the vouchers too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

6 posts and 5 of them are criticising Tesco? Maybe you should shop somewhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And a 5 year thread !!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement