Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MicroSD Question

Options
  • 19-11-2008 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a Windows Mobile Device and a software company in the UK have it at the moment to install software on it.

The software needs to be on a MicroSD card. When I sent it I included a 2GB Kingston MicroSD card.

The software company rang me to tell me that their software will only work with a Sandisk card. :confused:

Do ye think this sounds like BS? I thought that a MicroSD is a MicroSD card regardless of the manufacturer?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its a very unusual request by them alright. Thats a first that I have heard of.
    There might be some realistic reasons for they being so particular but at the mo my mind boggles as to any good reason besides possible data speed transfer rates!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Biggins wrote: »
    Its a very unusual request by them alright. Thats a first that I have heard of.
    There might be some realistic reasons for they being so particular but at the mo my mind boggles as to any good reason besides possible data speed transfer rates!

The data speed is exactly what I thought of too.

But they said the software won't even install on anything other than a Sandisk card :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Frankly, I think thats a load of cobblers but it might be a first!
    I have many cards for cameras, phones and apps. Never heard of that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maybe there's some bizarre copy protection / licensing thing going on that uses low-level access routines that only work, or rather are specifically designed to work on, Sandisk cards only, i.e. writing to areas of the card that don't fall within the normal formatted area available as disk space. There's also something vague rattling in the back of my mind regarding some cards (maybe Sandisk) having unique card-id's branded into them, that might be being used for the same purpose, i.e. copy-protection to stop you just copying the software onto a random other card and using it in another phone.

Advertisement