Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Centres free Blu Ray Player and 5 year warranty

Options
  • 19-11-2008 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from panasonic, sony centres are offering free blu ray player. 5 discs with their televisions and 5 year warranty. Heard on radio so not sure what conditions are

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

A little bit more info please? How can we avail of this free offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thats all I heard on the radio, nothing else but he mentioned their W series tv range in the same offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Misleading title :rolleyes:

So you thought they were giving away free 5 year warranty for what exactly???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm confused. Whats going on does any one know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭sudo911

Ok, here's the deal.... and it seems fairly sketchy at that!!!!

Rang the Sony Center in Dundrum - and they confirmed it is the BDP-S350 model (which is good! Cited here last month in WhatHiFi as Sony's best BluRay player to date..) and you sign up for the free titles online.

The offer is €299 for the player itself with the titles - however you get only 2 titles now, and the remaining 3 titles are available some time between now and christmas, so if you buy a player today - you can only claim the 2 straight away - but you should be able to get the additional 3 titles when then are released later this year (doesnt sound convincing!).

He did mention that the players sold either later in Dec or early Jan will have the 3 titles included in the box.

The warranty was however for 1 yr.... not 5 yrs... but then again, I didnt hear the advert...so maybe this guy for this wrong? can anyone else confirm? This guy was reading off an internal intranet, but didnt really seem to know much about it.

FYI - was in Belfast last Friday in the Richer Sounds store... you can get the BDP-S350 for €200 or a region-free (DVD) version for about €30 extra. (not sure about the free titles though, but assuming it's the same)

Sudo911.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I wonder if Xtravision are then indeed doing the same player, see this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055419533

Didnt see that thread, but yes... sounds like it is.... he mentioned the additional titles such as Hancock, Wall-E, Mamma Mia etc and said it they would not be available until the release date.

The Xtravision sounds like a better deal - only problem is the region-free on the DVD. I have a shed load of R1 discs that I need to be able to play, must do some digging on how to make it region-free. (not a concern for most though)

Sudo911.

The radio ad said the tv was 5 year warranty which i presume is in response to panasonic keeping their 5 year warranty deal on offer for longer, The player is free when you buy the tv

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

sudo911 wrote: »
    Didnt see that thread, but yes... sounds like it is.... he mentioned the additional titles such as Hancock, Wall-E, Mamma Mia etc and said it they would not be available until the release date.

The Xtravision sounds like a better deal - only problem is the region-free on the DVD. I have a shed load of R1 discs that I need to be able to play, must do some digging on how to make it region-free. (not a concern for most though)

Sudo911.

AV Forums say it can be unlocked using speical remote. Cant remember what type. Cant be unlcoked for blu-ray

• Advertisement

Yeah, seen that in another thread.... need an All4One remote.... dont really want to buy one just to unlock (although, could try the Argos trick as someone else mentioned :) ) ..... might hold off to see if the RicherSounds region-free model will have the same offer on the 29th.... that would mean getting the whole package for €230 (excl the movie rental vouchers).

AFAIK you claim these back by registering online anyway, so it should be the same....

Sudo911.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The five year warranty applies to the following models:

KDL40W4000U
    KDL40W4500U
    KDL46W4000U
    KDL46W4500U
    KDL52W4000U
    KDL52W4500U
    KDL32E4000U
    KDL40E4000U
    KDL46X4500U
    KDL55X4500U
    KDL40Z4500U
    KDL46Z4500U
    KDL52Z4500U

Free Blu-Ray (most of these include the 5 year warranty):

KDL52W4500U (BDPS350 + 5 movies from 1st Dec)
    KDL46W4500U (BDPS350 + 5 movies from 1st Dec)
    KDL40W4500U (BDPS350 + 5 movies from 1st Dec)
    KDL52W4000U (BDPS350 + 5 movies from 1st Dec)
    KDL46W4000U (BDPS350 + 5 movies from 1st Dec)
    KDL40E4000U (BDPS350 + 5 movies from 1st Dec)
    KDL32E4000U (BDPS350 + 5 movies from 1st Dec)
    KDL37V4500U (BDPS350 + 5 movies from 1st Dec)

KDL55X4500U (BDPS550 + 5 movies from 1st Dec)
    KDL46X4500U (BDPS550 + 5 movies from 1st Dec)
    KDL52Z4500U (BDPS550 + 5 movies from 1st Dec)
    KDL46Z4500U (BDPS550 + 5 movies from 1st Dec)
    KDL40Z4500U (BDPS550 + 5 movies from 1st Dec)

The five year warranty applies to the following models:

KDL40W4000U
    KDL40W4500U
    KDL46W4000U
    KDL46W4500U
    KDL52W4000U
    KDL52W4500U
    KDL32E4000U
    KDL40E4000U
    KDL46X4500U
    KDL55X4500U
    KDL40Z4500U
    KDL46Z4500U
    KDL52Z4500U

The real expensive ones!

kearnsr wrote: »
    The real expensive ones!

Heh heh - higher quality models you mean! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I am trying to get my Sony DAV-DZ260 (http://www.sony.ie/product/hcs-surround-kit---dvd-player/dav-dz260) unlocked as I have some R1 discs I want to play on it. I have an all 4 one remote at home but what key presses do I need to use to unlock it?

Cheers,
    M
    Yeah, seen that in another thread.... need an All4One remote.... dont really want to buy one just to unlock (although, could try the Argos trick as someone else mentioned :) ) ..... might hold off to see if the RicherSounds region-free model will have the same offer on the 29th.... that would mean getting the whole package for €230 (excl the movie rental vouchers).

AFAIK you claim these back by registering online anyway, so it should be the same....

Sudo911.

saw ad in examiner yesterday that some 32" ones have a 3 year warranty exclusive to the sony centres

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I just heard the radio ad and I'm pretty sure it said that the free blu-ray player was with the purchase of "any W-series TV"

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    I just heard the radio ad and I'm pretty sure it said that the free blu-ray player was with the purchase of "any W-series TV"

Those models I quoted are direct from Sony themselves. It is possible that individual shops might run their own promotion but I can't imagine that being the case.

madmoe wrote: »
    I am trying to get my Sony DAV-DZ260 (http://www.sony.ie/product/hcs-surround-kit---dvd-player/dav-dz260) unlocked as I have some R1 discs I want to play on it. I have an all 4 one remote at home but what key presses do I need to use to unlock it?

Dont think you can do it with an All4One remote, but check this out... you can rent a remote control and do it yourself to get the region-free....

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Just found that I can rent a similiar service remote from this same company to unlock the BDP-S350 for DVD Regions 1-6 incl RCE titles here. Unlike the RicherSounds mod, this will not allow region-free playback of BluRay discs (A&B). But then again, not a big deal.

If anyone in around the Dublin area has or is getting a BDP-S350 we could organise that once I get the remote we could do a few machines at the same time and split the cost? ;)

Sudo911.

Thats the one I heard on newstalk this morning

• Advertisement

If anyone in around the Dublin area has or is getting a BDP-S350 we could organise that once I get the remote we could do a few machines at the same time and split the cost? ;)

Sudo911.

I'm picking up a BDP-350 tomorrow but I was gona get an all for one remote

I bought a V series on Saturday and it came with a free BDP-350 and I posted it on Bargain Alerts then as well. The deal was meant to end on Sunday so it looks like its just continued.

@kearnsr,
    U but a lot of TV's mate.....do u sell them on again....:-)

I'm picking up a BDP-350 tomorrow but I was gona get an all for one remote

Was looking further into that method, but you need to keep the All4One remote afterwards to change the region code, in addition to using your Sony remote.

Using the service remote method it remains region-free and RCE compatible with no need to select the region you need before playback.

Food for thought...

Sudo911.

madmoe wrote: »
    @kearnsr,
    U but a lot of TV's mate.....do u sell them on again....:-)

This is the second tv i've bought in 2 years.

I bought it on Saturday but prob not gona be able to pick it up till tomorrow.

I'm selling my old tv. See my sig!

Was looking further into that method, but you need to keep the All4One remote afterwards to change the region code, in addition to using your Sony remote.

Using the service remote method it remains region-free and RCE compatible with no need to select the region you need before playback.

Food for thought...

Sudo911.

Where did you read that

Ooopss.. read the instructions wrong.... thought you had to select the region, but you just key in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and it THEN updates the player to region-free.

After more digging, I found there was a version for the Logitech Harmony remote I have, so looks like no need to rent the service remote control after all! ;)

Sudo911.

Full text below:

Region free BDP-S350 for DVD playback only, BD untested.

Full procedure for a oneforall remote is as follows:
    Working remotes and another,plus.Another remote.
    Pronto codes advice.
    Full set of Pronto codes with included region hack.

Av junkies Harmony remote hack. region free for 350/550.

1. Press DVD
    2. Hold the magic button until the DVD button flashes twice.
    3. Press 0533

4. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    5. Press 994
    6. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    7. Press 00189 (if your oneforall remote uses 4 digit or 3 digit codes, use less leading zeros)
    8. Press 1 ( this sets it to key 1 - it flashes twice )

9. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    10. Press 994
    11. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    12. Press 00255
    13. Press 2 ( this sets it to key 2 - it flashes twice )

14. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    15. Press 994
    16. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    17. Press 00095
    18. Press 3 ( this sets it to key 3 - it flashes twice )

19. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    20. Press 994
    21. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    22. Press 00221
    23. Press 4 ( this sets it to key 4 - it flashes twice )

24. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    25. Press 994
    26. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    27. Press 00079
    28. Press 5 ( this sets it to key 5 - it flashes twice )

The remote is now programmed and ready to use, to make the BDP-S350 region free:

1. Use the remote that came with the player to bring the player out of standby, make sure there isn't a disc in it.
    2. Press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on the oneforall remote. The 24p light will start flashing
    3. Put the player back into standby with the Sony remote
    4. Next time you turn on the player it will be region free for DVD playback

I wonder will this work for the dav-dz260, must try it tonight!

Ooopss.. read the instructions wrong.... thought you had to select the region, but you just key in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and it THEN updates the player to region-free.

After more digging, I found there was a version for the Logitech Harmony remote I have, so looks like no need to rent the service remote control after all! ;)

Sudo911.

What remote do you have?

What remote do you have?

Logitech Harmony 885

Sudo911.

• Advertisement

I am gonna try it with the One4All URC-8305

Update: It did not work.....when I

1. Press DVD
    2. Hold the magic button until the DVD button flashes twice (at this stage it seems to go into a sub menu, I then have to press Esc to get the number pad to appear??)
    3. Press 0533

4. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    5. Press 994
    6. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    7. Press 00189 (if your oneforall remote uses 4 digit or 3 digit codes, use less leading zeros)
    8. Press 1 ( this sets it to key 1 - it flashes twice ) - for me it does not flash twice :-(

And ideas lads? Maybe it cannot be done with the remote I have?

Advertisement