Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are new shops in Portlaoise doing?

Options
  • 19-11-2008 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

A lot of new stores have opened up for business in Portlaoise during the past year or two (Homebase, Superquinn, Argos, Dunnes Stores, Halfords, Eurospar etc), I'm just wondering how they're all doing- given the state of the nation and indeed the world right now! There seems to be a bit of a buzz round the Kyle Centre, especially with the coffee shop open but I would have reservations about Superquinn in Parkside- all bells and whistles etc but where is the pub, restaurants etc? Anyone got any ideas or insider knowledge??:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Zuisse

I'm not too surprised to hear that Parkside are in trouble - 80% of the units are empty. There's been too many developments built in Portlaoise in the last few years - Parkside, Kyle Centre, Portlaoise Retail Park etc and there doesn't appear to be anyone interested in filling them.
    It doesn't look like the Laois Shopping Centre extension is going to happen any time soon, which is a pity because it would be great to have alot of the big shops locally, rather than going to Newbridge or further afield.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fona

Anyone heard anything more about Parkside? Are they going into liquidation? And what would that mean for the existing shops: Superquinn, Dominos etc

The developer of Parkside is in examinership (basically protected from creditors while a court appointed examiner helps them find a way to trade out of their difficulties or find a new investor). Their future is entirely dependent on the outcome of this process I'd imagine...

Yesterday's news re Superquinn hardly bodes well for Parkside either....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

superquinn in portlaoise laid off staff before christmas they are on three years rent free and smaller units have first year rent free. Not sure how long the minimum contract is that they will give.

Advertisement