Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote desktop on XP?

Options
  • 19-11-2008 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I'll get to the point in a sec but first some backround:

Running windows xp SP3...

tonight my laptop completly crashed so after rebooting and cursing laptops i finally checked my event viewer to see what was going on. Towards the end where the laptop had logged on i couldn't help but notice it mentioning remote desktop had started!? :confused: Now i never knew i had this on my laptop and quickly found it floating around start menu. We use it in work because we're moving around computers all the time.

Is this standard XP software or something a bit more sinister?
    Also, If somebody does connect to my laptop here will it definately show up a little window to say so?

Just a little intrigued as i thought this was an IT savvy program.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Nothing to worry about congo, the message you are looking at in event viewer is an informational message telling you that the remote desktop service has started - i.e. the service needed to run remote desktop on your computer.

This is probably because you have remote desktop or remote assistance turned on which can be easily turned off. Its a very good idea security wise to turn this service off anyway if its not in use, I say it was just enabled again when you installed SP3 via Windows Updates?. Is this how you installed SP3?.

To disable Remote Assistance or Remote Desktop, follow these steps:

1. Right-click on My Computer
    2. Select Properties
    3. Click on the Remote tab

To disable, or turn off, Remote Assistance, simply uncheck the box next to Allow Remote Assistance invitations to be sent from this computer

To disable, or turn off, Remote Desktop, simply uncheck the box next to Allow users to connect remotely to this computer.

EDIT: And yes Remote Desktop is standard software on Windows XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Thanks feelgood. I followed all your steps. I think i may have selected it sometime ago when going through settings in 'my computer' or somewhere similar.

thanks again for clearing that up so fast! :D

Advertisement