Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had braces when I was a kid, but starting to go back

Options
  • 18-11-2008 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I had braces when I was a kid, I have been wearing my retainer everynight for the last 10 years, but I've been noticing that a couple of my teeth are reverting back to what it was before. I'd like stop that from continuing as well as maybe fix the problem before it gets worse.

What should I do?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I have a similar problem myself.

I had braces when I was a teenager, but in recent years some of the teeth are pushing inwards, particularly the corner teeth on top. I wear my retainer overnight as well, but it hasn't stopped my teeth from moving. It's quite painful at the moment.

Should I see an orthodontist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ByrdsFan

I had braces when I was a kid, I have been wearing my retainer everynight for the last 10 years, but I've been noticing that a couple of my teeth are reverting back to what it was before. I'd like stop that from continuing as well as maybe fix the problem before it gets worse.

What should I do?
    I had braces when I was a teenager, but in recent years some of the teeth are pushing inwards, particularly the corner teeth on top. I wear my retainer overnight as well, but it hasn't stopped my teeth from moving. It's quite painful at the moment.

Should I see an orthodontist?

Definately you both should contact your orthodontist or even your dentist. Best to get these things checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

ByrdsFan wrote: »
    Definately you both should contact your orthodontist or even your dentist. Best to get these things checked.

Thanks. The orthodontist who I was with a few years ago has since retired from practice. I've been seeing a general dentist since, and when I mentioned this problem at my last check-up (about 6 months ago), she said I may be brushing too hard.

I'll make an appointment with a new orthodontist anyway to get it checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭holdmyhand?

got my braces off 3 years ago... and wear my retainer religiously... the bf thinks its so funny but anyways i started to get a gap between my front 2 teeth( i didnt spend 4 years in pain for nothing) so i went back and you know what your man said 'this is why you have to wear your retainer' i was like i do every night he was like 'look dont lie about it'

......... needless to say i left feeling extremly pissed off.

i have an appointment with a diff guy hopefully he can help

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probably depends on the person. I've had mine off for 10 years now and I only wore the retainer regularly for about 2 years, then it was probably twice a week, and I don't think I've worn it in about 7 years now.

I haven't noticed any major change in my teeth, though there has been some pushing and squeezing caused by the growth of my wisdom teeth. Retainers can reduce the impact of wisdom teeth, but if your teeth need to move to accomodate them, they will. This may be what Tombomby and Johnny Utah are seeing.

I would recommend going for a consultation with an orthodontist. The sooner you can catch them moving out of place, the shorter and less painful any corrections will be. It won't be the four years of misery that we all suffered as teenagers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SMP

One option is to have a "fixed" or "permanent" retainer put in place as soon as the braces come off. I got this about 10 years ago and my teeth are still as straight as the day my braces came off. It's basically just a tiny thin wire cemented to the backside of your teeth. Kinda funny feeling at first but you'd soon forget it's even there. Great investment in MHO!

Advertisement