Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric bikes

Options
  • 18-11-2008 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

What Electric bikes would you recommened???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I understand that the Giant ones are pretty good. Called the twist or twister or something.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SharkWound

there is an electric bike for sale on gumtree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Freewheeling Ed

I have never used one, but I remember talking to a woman who had one, because she siad it was easier. But the impression I got from her, that when the battery ran out (was was regular) you end up pushing a really heavy lump of bike around.
    She put me off electrical bikes for ever.
    Have I the wrong end of the battery chager ???

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

But the impression I got from her, that when the battery ran out (was was regular) you end up pushing a really heavy lump of bike around.

Cars are a bit like that too. :P

More seriously, I think electric bikes are a nice idea.

Consider a bike with 100 18650 LiIon batteries secreted about it's frame. Each battery gives about 8WH for about 50g and $4.50, so that's 800WH of energy for $450 and 5kg of battery weight. Add another 5kg for powertrain, and you have a 20kg bike. With an 80kg rider, that's 100kg to shift.

I'd want my electric bike to do maybe 1000m of climbing on a spin. I don't mind handling the air resistance, just not the climbing - I'd like to (say) climb up to Sally Gap at 30kph.

Simple E=mgh gives 1 million joules of energy required at 100% efficiency. That's only 278WH.

So my theoretical 20kg electric bike could handle 2800m of climbing at normal "flat" road speeds, before drivetrain losses.

If such a bike exists, I'd buy one. Somehow, I fear that reality doesn't yet meet the theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Lumen wrote: »
    I'd like to (say) climb up to Sally Gap at 30kph.

Does that not just defeat the purpose of cycling :p? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Not if you live in the Sally Gap...
    72hundred wrote: »
    Does that not just defeat the purpose of cycling :p? :rolleyes:

Advertisement