Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moisture in poor student's house problems

Options
  • 18-11-2008 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I'm not too sure if this is the right forum for this but anyway .

Had an infestation of mould here recently. (stuff is hard to get rid of). The room has humidity problems. Moisture builds up and mould loves these conditions. My bedroom is also my study area so I'm here a lot and my breathing probably contributes to the moisture build up. I can't afford to move, and I can't afford a dehumidifier. So what can I do? I've started leaving both the window open and the door. Will this circulation offer any aid. I've heard of moisture trap crystals. Are they any good?

I've gotten rid of the mould in the room but the mould in the built in closet is unyielding so I've locked it away (I suppose that's no good either). :confused:

Anyway any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not sure about the crystals, you tend to find them used in packaging (basically a sealed environment) to prevent corrosion of contents.

I suggest you use a good fungicide first on the build-in wardrobe. That's every mould's perfect environment, dark and damp. Many moulds can result in serious health issues as anyone who has ever watched Kim & Aggie would know, so don't ignore it.

Ventilation usually solves the problem. There should be a trickle vent in the wall (or window) and it should be open at all times. Be sure fresh air is actually coming through it. It's not unknown for some to be blocked.

There shouldn't be any mould in a properly ventilated room unless
    a) vents are blocked or non-existent
    b) there's an underlying damp problem in the building.
    c) have an unventilated en-suite shower letting damp air into the room
    d) you're drying clothes in the room
    e) you're doing a lot of cooking/boiling kettles in the room

I assume you're renting (and have a written lease or rent book) therefore your landlord should be fixing the problem for you if the cause is structural (a,b or c above).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Crystals work as does a bowl or saucer of ordinary table salt.

Ventilation is the key, so don't dry clothes on the radiator and open a window when you are not there.

Turning on the heating will help abit as heat dries out the air.

I agree with slimjimmc, if its a rented property with an underlying structural problem - lack of insulation or damaged damp-proof-course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ex sanguination

slimjimmc wrote: »

I suggest you use a good fungicide first on the build-in wardrobe. That's every mould's perfect environment, dark and damp. Many moulds can result in serious health issues as anyone who has ever watched Kim & Aggie would know, so don't ignore it.

Ventilation usually solves the problem. There should be a trickle vent in the wall (or window) and it should be open at all times. Be sure fresh air is actually coming through it. It's not unknown for some to be blocked.

There shouldn't be any mould in a properly ventilated room unless
    a) vents are blocked or non-existent
    b) there's an underlying damp problem in the building.
    c) have an unventilated en-suite shower letting damp air into the room
    d) you're drying clothes in the room
    e) you're doing a lot of cooking/boiling kettles in the room

I assume you're renting (and have a written lease or rent book) therefore your landlord should be fixing the problem for you if the cause is structural (a,b or c above).

Well I'm I believe (a) was the problem. There's no trickle vent. But I've started to keep the place as well ventilated now as I can. I hope it solves the problem. As regards fungicide for the closet, went looking around for one and couldn't find any, so any recommendations? thanks for advice so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Plate of ordinary salt will help remove moisture from air. Its a cheap fix meassure. Heating and ventilation are the key.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You could try washing it down with a 50% bleach:50% water solution then rinse.

If that doesn't work I've seen HG Mould Spray in a few DIY (Woodies??) and tile shops. It seems geared towards bathrooms and tiles, so it might be a bit harsh on wood or paint. This, of course, may not matter inside a wardrobe. As always, read the instructions and small print carefully.

HG also make those crystals too.

Hope it all works out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ex sanguination

slimjimmc wrote: »
    You could try washing it down with a 50% bleach:50% water solution then rinse.

If that doesn't work I've seen HG Mould Spray in a few DIY (Woodies??) and tile shops. It seems geared towards bathrooms and tiles, so it might be a bit harsh on wood or paint. This, of course, may not matter inside a wardrobe. As always, read the instructions and small print carefully.

HG also make those crystals too.

Hope it all works out.
    have just got the HG mould spray and will be spraying it on shortly, Thanks

Advertisement