Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micro-review: TrustFire SSC P7 C-BIN 900-Lumen 5-Mode LED Flashlight

Options
  • 18-11-2008 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my initial enthusiasm for this light, but after a few night rides I need to retract that opinion.

Don't get it.

Even with my great new Lockblocks attachment, it rattles inside, and tends to change mode when I hit a bump. Usually it changes to strobe mode, which is not very nice when dealing with oncoming traffic.

I also learned that it is not trivial to adjust the beam profile of a torch reflector. Masking off the top part of the lens doesn't cut off the top part of the beam.

I'm still looking to switch to a Dereelight DBS ("monster throw"), but the UK supplier cancelled my order when they ran out of stock.

At this rate winter will be over before I admit defeat and buy a Fenix TK11.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Sry to hear it didn't work out.

Looks like too big a light for the front of a bike IMHO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAQtD0oIk0c

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

72hundred wrote: »
    Looks like too big a light for the front of a bike IMHO

That video shows the 2 battery version. I have the 1-battery version, which is much shorter. The head is larger than others, but that doesn't really make any difference as there is nothing for it to interfere with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Lumen wrote: »
    That video shows the 2 battery version. I have the 1-battery version, which is much shorter. The head is larger than others, but that doesn't really make any difference as there is nothing for it to interfere with.

Oh I see, that would make it more practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm waiting on a MTE SSC P7 900-Lumen 2-Mode LED to arrive, and also have a TK11, so I'll do a comparison and let you know!

I'm waiting on a MTE SSC P7 900-Lumen 2-Mode LED to arrive, and also have a TK11, so I'll do a comparison and let you know!

Ta. 2 modes reduces the potential problems, but it's also using a "tail cap clicky". I think a more robust design would use a rotating tail cap, which is less likely to change mode when knocked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my initial enthusiasm for this light, but after a few night rides I need to retract that opinion.

Don't get it.

Even with my great new Lockblocks attachment, it rattles inside, and tends to change mode when I hit a bump. Usually it changes to strobe mode, which is not very nice when dealing with oncoming traffic.

I also learned that it is not trivial to adjust the beam profile of a torch reflector. Masking off the top part of the lens doesn't cut off the top part of the beam.

I'm still looking to switch to a Dereelight DBS ("monster throw"), but the UK supplier cancelled my order when they ran out of stock.

At this rate winter will be over before I admit defeat and buy a Fenix TK11.

I've heard that the batteries in these rattle.. and each time it looses and makes contact, the mode changes ....

wonder if it would be worthwhile trying to stop the rattle by using a coin magnet at the end of the battery ... something like this .. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10305

I've heard that the batteries in these rattle.. and each time it looses and makes contact, the mode changes ....

wonder if it would be worthwhile trying to stop the rattle by using a coin magnet at the end of the battery ... something like this .. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10305

The tricky bit is that the tail cap operates by completing a circuit between the end of the battery and the body, so if you jam uninsulated stuff in the end, it will short to on and be impossible to change mode.

I may experiment with some 1 cent coins rimmed with insulating tape...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

The tricky bit is that the tail cap operates by completing a circuit between the end of the battery and the body, so if you jam uninsulated stuff in the end, it will short to on and be impossible to change mode.

I may experiment with some 1 cent coins rimmed with insulating tape...

Those magnet things in the deal extreme link are meant to be used in DIY flashlights ... especially if you want to use different batteries that what was intended ... and if you use magnets instead of coins .. I am assuming that magnets will be conductive ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've heard that the batteries in these rattle.. and each time it looses and makes contact, the mode changes ..
    This happened on my fenix on my bike. I simply stretched the spring out more on the cap/button. This is the spring that pushes the batteries together, so when stretched it forces them together even more. No problems since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yeah I went a bit looney and have a MTE MC-E 8 mode, MTE P7 8mode and MTE P7 5 mode.

The 8 modes appear to be more solidly built than the 5 modes, different design. Haven't used em on the road yet. Will give them a go tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Sorry to hear that didn't work out Lumen and thanks for the review, I am considering some more lights myself. Look forward to seeing your P7 tomorrow Verb!

With regard to tailcap clicky switches, there is nothing inherently wrong with them if the quality is good, batteries the right size etc. My Fenix TK11 has never had an unintended mode switch and it has probably been over 500km now over some nasty ground.

I have heard with the DX lights that quality is a bit of a crapshoot.

Advertisement