Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Xmas in Wicklow

Options
  • 18-11-2008 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

Whats probability of snow in Wicklow at Glenmalure over xmas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Whats probability of snow in Wicklow at Glenmalure over xmas?
    Way to early to tell that..but any high elevations in Wicklow stand a better chance than lower ones!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Snow will fall on Christmas day in Ballyglenmalure in the form of showers pushed along by a stiff NE wind, gusting to 50mph at times. The first shower will arrive at 00.45hrs delivering 0.5cm of snow, following that, there will be similar showers at the following times...

17.24 - This will be a big one with 2cm.
    After the last shower, which will be weak, a severe -10c frost will set in.

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Weather sarcasm - I like it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

I meant what subjective probability, would those of you familiar with the geographical location and historical occurances, place on snow falling and lying in around last week of December??????????????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Usually a common peroid to see snow in the week upto New years. This year outlook has something different in store with th CFS producing cold NW winds on St Stephens day with northerlies so the chance is good from a model but it's not uncommon in years past to see snow in this. 2"snow fell Dec 27th 2000 and few flakes spotted on a number of years this decade also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Danno wrote: »
    Snow will fall on Christmas day in Ballyglenmalure in the form of showers pushed along by a stiff NE wind, gusting to 50mph at times. The first shower will arrive at 00.45hrs delivering 0.5cm of snow, following that, there will be similar showers at the following times...

17.24 - This will be a big one with 2cm.
    After the last shower, which will be weak, a severe -10c frost will set in.

Enjoy.

Wouldn't it be a scream if Danno was right? :D I reckon he would have every nutcase in the country after him. People looking to contact the dead, people wishing to know what day they are going to die on, people wondering what the lotto results will be in advance and so forth...

Danno, if this forecast is spot on, I will not only take my hat off to you, but I will also lick your dirty big boots...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wouldn't it be a scream if Danno was right? :D I reckon he would have every nutcase in the country after him. People looking to contact the dead, people wishing to know what day they are going to die on, people wondering what the lotto results will be in advance and so forth...

Danno, if this forecast is spot on, I will not only take my hat off to you, but I will also lick your dirty big boots...:D

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Living in rathdrum and we havent had snow in about 10 years, apart for two weeks ago when the whole place was wacked out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Sssssshhhh! Next they'll be looking for the Lotto numbers!!! :D:D:D

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Living in rathdrum and we havent had snow in about 10 years, apart for two weeks ago when the whole place was wacked out of it.

Really?, you didn't get any in Febuary 2007?, had lying snow here for a couple of weeks after that, would have thought Rathdrum would be high enough to have gotten some snow from that event.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Right, the reason i ask is I am thinking of going away for christmas and hoping to get some snow. Now thinking of Aviemore in Scotland as they have regular snow at xmas or somewhere on continent. Ryanair have cheap flights to edinburgh and get train from there to Aviemore. What about somewhere like Austria or France for snow at xmas? Dont want a skiing holiday but just some snow lying for the holiday that me and family can go walking in etc. Alps might be a bit extreme in snow/ice terms. Dont wanna pay mad money either so any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Ill give you 3/1

How much you betting?

Braemor in Scotland probably is a better bet than Aviemore, but for guaranteed snow you'll have to go to the EU mainland I'm afraid.

Advertisement