Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal details must be handed over by Government to keep up US Visa waiver scheme.

Options
  • 18-11-2008 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

The GOVERNMENT will have to agree to a sweeping new agreement on sharing criminal data with the United States if Ireland is to remain part of the visa waiver programme, US homeland security secretary Michael Chertoff said yesterday.

The deal would mean exchanging data, including DNA and fingerprint records, and in some cases details of individuals' political and religious beliefs and sexual orientation - even on people not planning to travel to the US.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/1118/1226961467105.html?via=mr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,892 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Oh no they are gonna find out about that packet of chewing gums I nicked when I was 13!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

what ever happened to data protection? bloody tinfoil hat wearing americans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

dade wrote: »
    what ever happened to data protection?
    ROFL :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

The US-German agreement, which was signed last March and served as the basis for subsequent deals with other countries, states that each country's authorities should have access to each other's fingerprint databases and DNA profiles. If fingerprints or DNA profiles match those of someone suspected of committing or planning serious crimes, further personal data can be exchanged. The agreement does not limit the sharing of information to data on air travellers or on convicted or suspected criminals but defines personal data as "any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person" and Article 12 identifies "special categories" of personal information.

"Personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions or religious or other beliefs, trade union membership or concerning health and sexual life may only be provided if they are particularly relevant to the purposes of this Agreement," it notes. Both parties agree to "take suitable safeguards, in particular appropriate security measures" to protect such information but the safeguards are not identified.

Doesn't seem quite so sinister when you look at the details of it, although you would need to know what the safeguards actually are. But then that wouldn't suit you would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

To hell with the yanks. Tosspots.

I sure as hell wont be voting for it. If it comes to a vote, which it should.

How in gods name are they going to take my DNA and my fingerprints... I think it's a crock of ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Forgive my ignorance, what is the visa waiver programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

To hell with the yanks. Tosspots.

I sure as hell wont be voting for it. If it comes to a vote, which it should.

How in gods name are they going to take my DNA and my fingerprints... I think it's a crock of ****.

This. Only more eloquent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Forgive my ignorance, what is the visa waiver programme?
    Since October 2006 anyone issued with a microchiped passport did not need to apply for a Visa to enter the US. This was a way of "blackmailing" people into accepting these wonderful new high tech passports. Those on older conventional pre Oct 2006 passports had to go through the old procedure of applying for a visa,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The GOVERNMENT will have to agree to a sweeping new agreement on sharing criminal data with the United States if Ireland is to remain part of the visa waiver programme, US homeland security secretary Michael Chertoff said yesterday.

The deal would mean exchanging data, including DNA and fingerprint records, and in some cases details of individuals' political and religious beliefs and sexual orientation - even on people not planning to travel to the US.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/1118/1226961467105.html?via=mr

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Collecting data on people not even interested in travelling to their effing country is way over the top.

"Personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions or religious or other beliefs, trade union membership or concerning health and sexual life may only be provided if they are particularly relevant to the purposes of this Agreement," it notes.
    Super nanny state

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,892 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Dragan wrote: »
    FYP
    What did ya fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Okay, I can kinda see why the idea was formed, but thats where it should have stayed. In all fairness, who the **** do they think they are, and with the state of their economy at the moment, they should be encouraging tourism, not the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

-[/B] even on people not planning to travel to the US.

We should ask them in return for info on all those rendition flight people. they wern't planning on coming here or going to the US:eek::pac:

What did ya fix?

I just took all the bold off the nice big shiney words like DNA etc that Run to the Hills had highlighted to get peoples hearts racing ( it seems to have worked judging by how many people didn't actually read the full posting or information provided later ) and i put into bold the true crux of the issue.

That it's CRIMINAL information.

So guess what decent citizens, if you haven't been arrested then you have **** all to worry about.

As usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Since October 2006 anyone issued with a microchiped passport did not need to apply for a Visa to enter the US. This was a way of "blackmailing" people into accepting these wonderful new high tech passports. Those on older conventional pre Oct 2006 passports had to go through the old procedure of applying for a visa,

Not true. I was in the States three times in the last 18 months or so and didn't apply for a visa. And all I had was a machine readable passport with no chip thingie in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

I just took all the bold off the nice big shiney words like DNA etc that Run to the Hills had highlighted to get peoples hearts racing ( it seems to have worked judging by how many people didn't actually read the full posting or information provided later ) and i put into bold the true crux of the issue.

That it's CRIMINAL information.

So guess what decent citizens, if you haven't been arrested then you have **** all to worry about.

As usual.

Surely Interpol do all that anyway, so it is in fact, nothing new at all...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Not true. I was in the States three times in the last 18 months or so and didn't apply for a visa. And all I had was a machine readable passport with no chip thingie in it.
    Correct, aslong as its machine readable you dont need to apply for a visa.

I've got one of those fancy new passports and as said above i'm not a criminal so they can have my DNA if they want, should come in handy when i need a cloned Kidney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Retards trying to police the world. Hope someone drops a bomb on the White House.

• Advertisement

Surely Interpol do all that anyway, so it is in fact, nothing new at all...

Indeed. Information sharing is par for the course when it comes to stopping international movement of various criminal entities.

But remember, we should never let the harsh light of day or the cold fristy facts get in the way of another Run to da Hills special.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Simple solution.. If you dont like it dont go to america. Its their country, if they want you to jerk off and fill up a cup at customs thats their perogative

Wagon wrote: »
    Retards trying to police the world. Hope someone drops a bomb on the White House.

Right on! Fight the Power! Burn Your Bra! etc. etc. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭phoebe!

don't know how this will work as it takes about 6 weeks to get a garda clearance!

But remember, we should never let the harsh light of day or the cold fristy facts get in the way of another Run to da Hills special.

Indeed, he must be the worlds biggest single user of tinfoil:D
    I bet the local Tesco always runs out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

yeah, machine readable has a chip.

Thats what makes it machine readable! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Huh ?
    Nobody has to apply for a visa. The visa waiver is the visa they just give you when you show up looking to come in. It's a 90 day holiday visa. I think recently they made you register online a few days before you leave, that's about it.

Any way it doesn't matter the Gardai have no facility for storing DNA or fingerprints, it's not like CSI where they can "run it through the database". The closest they have to a database is a filing cabinet where they drawers don't open properly. They don't even store criminals info.

peanuthead wrote: »
    yeah, machine readable has a chip.

Thats what makes it machine readable! :rolleyes:

No it doesn't. The barcode makes it machine readable. You can take your rolleyes some place else kiddo.

I've had the passport for nearly 9 years.

snyper wrote: »
    Simple solution.. If you dont like it dont go to america.

Thats my cunning plan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Are there not EU regulations on privacy policies and the sharing of information like that?

Advertisement