Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a good Saddle

Options
  • 18-11-2008 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Started back on the bike at the weekend,havent been out for a couple of years and am feeling a bit sore all over.But mostly found the saddle rock hard and felt every bump on the road.Are there any good makes of saddles out there that ye would recommend(bike carbon fibre racing bike )

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Don't buy a new saddle. Just wait til you get used to that one. It'll be fine in a couple of days.

On a road bike, you are going to feel every bump on the road. It's just part of it. Stick with it for a few days and you'll get used to it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you've been off the bike for ages a sore arse is kind of inevitable, so switching saddle now might be money down the drain. Give it a few weeks and if it is still bothering you then, maybe consider switching.

Saddles are a pretty personal thing and what works for one person mightn't work for another. What you're looking for is something that will support your sit bones without having them sink into it.

I presume you're using decent shorts by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Thanks Sean for the reply,i'll try and get out again for a spin over the wekend and hope i dont feel ever bump again.So the gel saddles not worth the money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

barry75 wrote: »
    Thanks Sean for the reply,i'll try and get out again for a spin over the wekend and hope i dont feel ever bump again.So the gel saddles not worth the money?

Well if you bought a carbon fiber roadie, chances are the saddle on it is not too shabby. (and if you've ridden on it before without issue then I don't see how it could cause problems.)

as el tonto said, pain in the gooch is a certainty if you've been off the bike a while.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Gel saddles work for some people, but others they're too soft and mean that you sink too far into the saddle and put pressure on blood vessels which results in the dreaded numb man bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Also, saddles can be a very personal thing... some people love a particular sort, others hate them (for example, Blorg swears by Brooks -Niceonetom swears at them!). By the same vein, Blorg (I think) wasn't a fan of the saddle that came as standard on his Focus, and I find mine pretty comfortable.

A lot of people like the specialized toupe, so it could be the place to start if you're adamant you need a new one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I've ridden a specialized toupe on a carbon fibre ridley for the past 3-4 years and its very comfortable. The Fisik Arione is very good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Sean_K wrote: »
    Well if you bought a carbon fiber roadie, chances are the saddle on it is not too shabby.

em ..trek madone 5.2 won the giro (well the frame did) and has an average saddle.
    I think the sentiment being expressed is that good saddles can improve things but firstly give yourself a chance to get used to being back on a bike....

if you do decide to change .. this one gets good reviews
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=21978

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Some time I hark back to the "good old days" . When I started out the only real choince here was a rolls or a turbo (they came in lot of different colours though , remember a bright yellow turbo with some affection:))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Specialized Alias.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

Get yourself a FIZIK Aliante.You will never look back, every road bike i have has one....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Charge_Spoon_Ti_Synthetic_Saddle/5360039125/

Very nice saddle. Comfy and not to expensive. The look great as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

My saddle of choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Is €130 the going rate for a good saddle (Specialized Toupe?). I paid €90 for my Alias and I don't think I need more out of a saddle. Also its got more gel than the Toupe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I bought the toupe because it has less gel, yes 130 is a bit steep alright, i think i got mine for around €100

Advertisement