Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD: First Step

Options
  • 18-11-2008 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I'm considering doing a PhD in Economics - I am interested in the area of poverty, inequality and welfare.

I was just looking for some advise on how to go about formally approaching a supervisor. Email/phone? How much information would I need to provide him/her with initially?

I have done reading in the area but have nothing prepared as such.

Any advice would be great -

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Hi,

I would suggest sending an email outlining your background, why you would like to carry out research in your chosen area and why you think they would be a suitable supervisor for that area of research.
    An email would probably be a good starting point and could be followed up by a phone call at a later stage - that gives them time to consider your proposal without being put on the spot.

Alternatively, you may find specific projects already designed which you can apply for through a standard application process (findaphd.com can be useful for that). Apologies if you've already tried that route.

A friend of mine recently attended a conference and approached someone in person who she wished to work with and got her foot in the door that way. I wrote to my undergraduate supervisor with only a very vague idea of the area I wanted to work in and we took it from there.
    There doesn't really seem to be a standard way of going about it!

Just my personal opinion, but I reckon if you show that you have an idea of what you're talking about and have a good academic background, they will let you know if there is any possibility of working with them and give you further details of how to officially apply for a place. They may also point you towards someone else they know of who could take you on.

Good luck!

Advertisement