Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lighting audio for school production

Options
  • 18-11-2008 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi!

Can anybody tell me how much I would be expected to pay a company to come in and do lights and sound for a school theatre production?

Thanx,
    T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

How long is a piece of string?
    Is it just one night? Location? What is the piece (musical or drama)? Do you have any equipment being used? What size hall (seating capacity), what power supply do you have access to, is there live sound mixes needed or just playback, radio mics etc. Many questions need answering before a company can give a price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tkatriona

Let's say it was for 3 nights, a musical in a school hall that'd seat around 200. It'd be in Dublin. I wouldn't know what sound mixes or mics would be needed. But there would be a handful of musicians and about 7 prinicipal characters so they would prob need mics? There would just be regular sockets on a couple of walls around the hall. What would you say that might cost or would they have to come and see the setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

what cue said pretty much. with regards to lighting.. where can they rig from? does the venue have a grid for example? most good lighting companies will be able to work around your limitations but it might mean hireage of more equipment to be able to put lights up. you may have to allow for a operator unless you know of someone who can do it (from the sounds of your post you may need someone)...how much are you willing to spend? (some ask that) what equipment you already have. you'll have to allow for the hourly cost of paying an operator, labour costs to get the lamps/PA in the sky...as cue said there are sooo many questions they'll want answers to to be able to give you a realistic quote.
    or you may be lucky and you could say "X venue for X amount of nights and it's *insert well known musical here*" and some fabulous companies have so much experience they know kind of what you need.

you said you only had regular sockets around the hall but for the power you will be needing and using this isn't enough and you'll need three phase for the dimmer packs.

ring around a few companies and give as much info as you have and you might get some luck with regards to quotes. you may indeed have to get them to come have a look..a quick google brought up these guys - http://www.soundhireireland.com/gpage.html but i'm sure there are others. i still think this is your best bet, to ring companies. if they're any good they'll work with you to get the best results for the show you're putting on..you won't be the first person they've worked with that hasn't a clue about it.

good luck! (especially if you got through that ramble)

Advertisement