Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Req] Tips for Researching Family History

Options
  • 18-11-2008 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I’m planning to research my family history to fullest extent that records will allow. Any help with the below questions from people with experience in the area will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance for all responses.

1. I’ve so far compiled the below list of Places to look for Family History. Can anyone recommend other places to look that may be of value?
    2. If any of the below places allow you to look up information by internet, is there any advantage in actually visiting the records office itself? (eg getting a feel for a document)
    3. In the event I have to travel (eg to London), can anyone give me pointers on how to ensure I can get everything done efficiently in one visit?
    4. I am inexperienced in this area. Any general pointers on how to go about this project in the best way will also be appreciated.

Places to look for Family History

County Library (Wexford, Roscommon,Mayo)
    - Tithe of Applotment Records
    - Griffith Land Registry

Dublin
    - National Archive Office
    - National Library
    - Birth and Death Register

London
    - Public Records Office

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Try irishroots.ie which will allow you to search online. Not all counties are up on it but you may be lucky. Unless you have some experience I wouldn't advise trying to look at original records as it can be a terribly frustrating experience. If you go to the National Library you will find the records on microfilms which sometimes are difficult to decipher.

Talk to old aunts and grand aunts as they can be an amazing source of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

NAI - nation archives of ireland
    NLI - national library of ireland (kildare street)
    GRO - general registers office

websites for all of the places above have guides for starting research on your family history.

start with basics. get dates of birth or marriage (most useful). full dates are best but a year will get you halfway there, with less hassle in the GRO if the name you are searching is uncommon. Get copies of certs from the GRO (4 euro per photocopy, 2 euro to search a set of 5 consecutive years - see their website for info) which will give addresses of place of birth for a birth cert or addresses of both husband and wife in a marriage cert. death certs arent much use, unless you need an approximate DOB.
    http://www.groireland.ie/faqs.htm

GRO research can be carried out at the Irish Life Centre, Abbey St in Dublin. 9.30am – 4.30pm Mon – Fri. (next to the Abby Street stop on the LUAS line). Get there at 10am as the place fills up.

another set of basics are addresses. if any family members know where your ancestors lived, this would help you out in the National Archives. your local library or the district library may also hold film reels of the local 1911 census - ask at your local library if and where they are available.

National Library records go up to 1880
    GRO records start at 1864

if you had any family in dublin try the 1911 census online http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ the 1901 census and the records for the entire country will be put up eventually. if you go in to the archives it would be best to know what streets you want to search (if in the dublin area) or what district you are looking for if outside of dublin.

If you want to serach census reels in NAI get in early because all the microfilm machines tend to get taken up with an occupant rather quickly and each person could be there for hours. Bring ID when you go the first time as you will need to register. all but photocopies are free here.

the national library will leave you with a headache on a good day. if you intend on going through parish records i recommend you figure out which parish first. going in blind will get you nowhere.
    to get you started: http://www.nli.ie/en/intro/family-history-introduction.aspx
    parish info: http://www.nli.ie/en/parish-register.aspx
    again, like the NAI research can be carried out for free here.

in the NLI they have a help dept for those starting research. they have the Griffith Land evaluation as a searchable database on their computers (which you may use) - this may be useful if you have no clue where your ancestors lived in ireland, but will only be of use to you if your relatives owned land. i've never found the Griffith land evaluation particularly helpful in my research.

don't be under the illusion that your search will be easy. you need a lot of preparation before going to the gro, nli or nai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Poubelle

Any genaelogical research is indeed a long process, (its not quite as easy as it appears on 'Who do you think you are'!!!) but worth it when you hit that 'eureka' moment when everything comes together.

Professionals say the first thing you should do is start with the closest living relative (eg parent) and ask them to plot a family tree with you, ask them what they knew about their parents, grandparents and beyond. Then go to your grandparents if they are still alive and ask them the same thing, to plot a family tree and to tell you everything about previous generations that they knew.

From there you hit the archives and libraries hard. Both the NLI & NAI have a Genealogy Services section, where you might find help. I believe the 1911 Census for Dublin is available online from the National Archives website. The National Library has computer access to The Times records which may help you prepare research before you visit the UK.

The Public Records Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) also have many archives which might be useful if you turn up any relatives from Northern Ireland or in the border counties, although they do have records for the whole island. Also try the Land Registry and the Registry of Deeds for land queries, these documents alos turn up interesting things like who was married to whom etc.

Good luck!

Advertisement