Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia - 3months

Options
  • 18-11-2008 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭

Hey, just looking for some advice on the on Australia. I and a friend are thinking of going over for 3 months in 2009 around the summer time. We have talked about it and decided that we will go over and not work and maybe travel around a bit so question is how much money will we need for 3 months? I was thinking myself about €6,000 but thats a rough figure of the top of my head. Also is there a travel agent or someone that we could approach who will organise everything which is basically a 3 month holiday visa and what if we decided that we wanted to work for say a month or so? Also anyone know where is the best place to start of in Aus, like everyone else that goes over just looking to have some fun and get out of this country for a while. I’m sure I am missing loads of questions and not thought of half what is needed but if anyone has any experience and can offer advice and fill in gaps, Id be grateful.

Vanbis.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

I think 6K would be enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Depends what you wanna do.

If you plan on renting cars, driving a lot etc then it will cost you a fair whack in petrol money and accomodation.

If you want to see the west coast (which most people will fully recommend you do) then you're going to maybe have to take flights into consideration.

Personally my ideal plan for 3 months would be to fly to Perth, see the west coast, fly from Perth to Cairns, then drive from there down the whole east coast and fly home from Melbourne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gabigeist

Bring the 6k and a work visa. Should be enough but you have the option of working if needed.
    When I went over, the Dublin embassy was closed so we just applied for work visa through the London embassy.

Summertime here is actually quite cold in parts of Aus. The usual starting cities are Sydney and Melbourne. Melbourne's lovely but I would not go in the Aussie winter so Sydney it is. The likes of Bondi etc pretty much close for the winter so stay in the city as there'll be more backpackers. Head North as soon as you can to gold coast, byron bay, cairns etc as its warmer and will feel more like a holiday.

G'donya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

gabigeist wrote: »
    Summertime here is actually quite cold in parts of Aus. The usual starting cities are Sydney and Melbourne. Melbourne's lovely but I would not go in the Aussie winter so Sydney it is. The likes of Bondi etc pretty much close for the winter so stay in the city as there'll be more backpackers. Head North as soon as you can to gold coast, byron bay, cairns etc as its warmer and will feel more like a holiday.

I wouldn't NOT go to a place because of the weather. Melbourne is still a cracking city in the winter. And the winter was still better than Irelands summer. As Xavi says, it a good place to round off the trip.

OP, 6,000 should be enough, though it obviously depends on the person. You will need a Working Holiday Visa if you want to work. You can get these through the Australian Immigration website.

Advertisement