Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive problem

Options
  • 18-11-2008 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi All,

I have a 500gb WD Elements Ex HD. It works fine on my laptop. When I brought it to a friend to transfer some files to his laptop I ran into difficulties. His laptop recognised the HD and showed the memory capacity and used memory on the HD, but when I clicked into it it said there were no files. I connected it back to my laptop and the files are all there....

He has a Toshiba and is using XP.

Any ideas on what the problem could be??

Thanks in advance..

C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It could be a NTFS vs FAT32 issue, but not likely.
    What's the file systems on all devices, lappys and HD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hutchyontour

"What's the file systems on all devices, lappys and HD?"

Sorry man, i'm still a bit of a novice to be honest... Wat do you mean by file systems??

dont think its a NTFS vs FAT32 issue as both run on Fat32

C

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

biko wrote: »
    It could be a NTFS vs FAT32 issue, but not likely.
    What's the file systems on all devices, lappys and HD?

Unlikely- XP is quite at home with either format.

I would approach this as a possible beginning of the product failing and make sure I backed up my data elsewhere. I'd then run hard-ware diagnostics on the WD drive and proceed from there.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I did a google on it and found some reports of similar things on laptops. The general fix seems to be to go into the Control Panel and disable the 1384 Firewire connection in Networks. Can't imagine why that would make a difference but there's anecdotal evidence and it can't hurt to try it.

[edit]Oh - they also refer to this fix being an XP SP3 issue. Does your friend have SP3 installed?

Advertisement