Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem starting a Toyota Carina

Options
  • 18-11-2008 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Car is a 1995 Toyota Carina Estate 2.0 litre
    It's automatic and is a diesel engine.

This is my parents car and they don't drive it that much anymore. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week. It was used as a taxi by the previous owner so has a fair few miles on the clock. Can't think of miles offhand but can find out if it becomes relevant to the problem.

The issue is that it's hard to start first time. It takes a good while chugging away (turning over) and also using the accelator before it starts up. It has been known to drain the battery every now and again if it hasn't been started in a few days. Well once it's started, I can stop the car and it will re-start immediately again. Don't even have to drive anywhere. However the same problem re-surfaces again the next day.

The issue is not with the battery anyhow. I'm thinking it's possibly to do with the spark/heater plugs as it's to do with the initial starting of the engine. Am I on the right path?

Not sure when the car was serviced last as the parents just bought a cheap car as they don't use it that much. Maybe it needs an oil change as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would start by servicing the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

+1 bazz26.

Afterwards if problem persists check see if the starter motor is ok it could be worn out. If not then check glow plugs (heaters). Last thing i would check is that afaik those cars have EFI (electric fuel injection) perhaps the fuel injectors have become blocked and are restricting fuel into engine?

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

If there is a bit of smoke after starting it is most likely the glow plugs , they should be changed every so often anyhow,

cost about €50 per set,

might be no harm to use a some Dipertane in the fuel for a tank or two, diesels especially older ones need a bit of harsh driving to keep the system clean of deposits

EDIT , after reading op again I am almost certain it is the glow plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

bazz26 wrote: »
    I would start by servicing the car.

Not an option as parents live on an island so will have to do the service myself

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

snowman707 wrote: »

EDIT , after reading op again I am almost certain it is the glow plugs

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Change the glowplugs, sounds like one or two are not heating properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

change glowplugs and oil, then drive it hard to try clean out the fuel injectors

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like the general consensus is to change the glow plugs. Then can look at the other suggestions.

Is this a big job? Can they be easily accessed in the engine? Don't know much about Toyota engines as you can probably see. I suppose it's best to change all four at the same time as they probably haven't been changed in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Why not get yourself a haynes manual for the car? As your parents live on an island it's highly likely you will be getting to know this car well! (Is that island Ireland? :))

Should be given a service, an oil and filter change, air filter and maybe fuel filter. I'm sure you will want to dispose of the old oil carefully to preserve the environment. It may need a good greaseup of the locks and hinges etc etc if living near sea.

It's an island off Ireland to make it clearer Tea drinker :)

A haynes manual might be worth the investment allright as will more than likely be doing more work on the car in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I'd say start with the glow plugs if it's just with the cold start.

Have a root in here and see if they have any info on changing them. It is a relatively straightforward job though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Puncell

i wouldnt rush out buyiing glow plugs.

firstly take out old glow plugs and cross across a battery to see how quick they light up, most probobly they wont all be gone, they should glow red within 10 secs. If they dont there knackered.
    and if only 1 or 2 gone, your aswell to replace all 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

When the engine is warm, like after the car has been out for a good run and the engine has just been turned off, if you try to start the car immediately after you turn the engine off, does it start immediately without issue???

If it does, the problem is your glow plugs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

i agree with all who say glow plugs, and if your changing one change all four, not a hard job but if your a novice then take a few digi photos of the set up before you start, handy if you cant figure out what goes where when you are reassembling,

Advertisement