Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migratin XP to vista issue

Options
  • 18-11-2008 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

New lappie with vista, migrating old files from XP. Got all my music under "my music" which is under "documents & settings". My first experience with vista and discovered the "access is denied" issue getting into the documents and settings folder. Googled and found out about junctions. Lovely, thanks microsoft.
    Anyway, Ive got 40gb of music in "my music" folder but with about 200 playlists all pointing at the "my music" folder. How to migrate the folder so that the paths in the playlist are still valid?
    Im using the migwiz utility. Could just copy them I suppose but how to get past this F*******KINg IDIOTIC problem.....sorry for little rant but Ive just spent the last 7 years carefully compiling playlists and am now faced with redoing them all because someone has decided they dont like "documents and settings" as a folder name, bit late, lads. At least 7 years too late.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If the playlists can be opened and read in the likes of notepad could you use the find and replace tool to change the docs & settings directory name to vistas user one? Don't work with playlists myself though so this mightnt be possible!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thumpybum

Yes and no, I use 2 different types of media player, Ive already edited the first type.
    The majority (223) of my playlists are in musicmatch which I still have and love even though they stopped releasing it since yahoo took them over. Im thinking I'll have to export to m3u and script something.
    Still cant get over why vista does that though.

Advertisement