Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

winter training bike

Options
  • 17-11-2008 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

anyone know where one can purchase a good winter training bike wit mudguards off the shelf?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

You could try Ribble http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/SpecialEditionBikes.asp Note: page doesn't seem to open properly using Firefox, you need to view using IE

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ribble would be my first thought too, they're pretty good with that kind of stuff. However, mudguards aren't that difficult to fit, so you are really limiting yourself looking just for a bike that's sold with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What's your budget?

I have a Kinesis Racelight TK which I bought from Epic Cycles.

I got it in grey with full size black mudguards and Veloce (because I have a shiny crank fetish).

Not cheap, but it's my only bike so gets used for everything.

el tonto wrote: »
    However, mudguards aren't that difficult to fit, so you are really limiting yourself looking just for a bike that's sold with them.

I have limited understanding of this, but...

On a winter bike you want decent clearance and eyelets for proper mudguards, which then requires long reach brakes (AFAIK).

This is not very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I use my road bike and just get mucky!

(Clean it after every wet day out though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Race Blades are an acceptable alternative to full-length mudguards on a road bike IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

i dont have a winter bike. I just stick some race blades on

blorg wrote: »
    Race Blades are an acceptable alternative to full-length mudguards on a road bike IMHO.

For you, or the rider on your wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Lumen wrote: »
    For you, or the rider on your wheel?
    Mainly for me but if fitted correctly they provide decent protection for the rider on your wheel also (I have experience riding behind people with them- and with no mudguards at all :D )

They are not as good as full-length (I have SKS Chromoplastics on my tourer) but they are acceptable if your bike won't take full-length. I wouldn't make a bike buying decision based on whether it took full-length mudguards or not personally.

Advertisement