Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB - This is getting rediculous

Options
  • 17-11-2008 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hello all. I'm at my wits end here.....

My luck with flash drives has been a string of unfortunate events.

Between corruption, loss and theft, Ive gone through so many bloody 'good' memory keys. I only buy the good ones too, eg corsair and OCZ in the hope that they prove more reliable.

After so many f**k up's, I decided to go for the all singing all dancing Corsair Flash SURVIVOR. This thing is pretty much indestructible, but I put it in today and it installed itself again which I found strange. It then installed as 'USBest USB2 Flash', which it is not!

Now if I click the device in my computer, it says 'please insert a disc into drive E'. I also tried to right click and format, even though Im losing a lot of stuff. It says the same thing, so I cant even format the bloody thing.

Jebus, I don't know if you can help, but anyone got any advice for me?? I am NOT getting another f**king memory key!!!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Try right click and explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Right click and explore - did that. Same message.

please insert a disc into drive E

This doesnt look good:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Are you using this on the same machine all the time as this looks like it could be hardware related, where do you store your drives when not in use?

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Between corruption, loss and theft, Ive gone through so many bloody 'good' memory keys. I only buy the good ones too, eg corsair and OCZ in the hope that they prove more reliable.

Jebus, I don't know if you can help, but anyone got any advice for me?? I am NOT getting another f**king memory key!!!!!

Sorry mate, not sure how you'd go about rescuing data from a dodgy usb key.

My advice is NOT to buy expensive ones in future. Regardless of the brand, all of the essential components are built in the same factories, so never spend more than a tenner on one.
    With a cheap usb key, you will find it easier to remember that it is disposable technology. NEVER depend on a usb key for important stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

On my laptop and PC same. When storing I make a point to keep it away from my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Try using a usb hub plugged into your pc or laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Sounds like it has gone corrupt. I have had drives with the same symptoms before and that was the cause.

Do you eject the drives properly using Safely Remove Hardware before unplugging them?

Or do you just unplug it without doing anything?

I have found that on certain computers if I unplug one of my keys, it will corrupt all data on it even though I have the disk set up for Optimal Removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

How old is your pc? Were the usb ports working before hand? If you plug the drive into another machine does it work?

I have had usb ports wired up wrong or faulty that broke usb devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

have you managed to put any information onto the USB key before it goes belly up?

Have you downloaded any software that should go with the USB Key?

What size is it?

What format is it?

In "system manager": What does disc management see? You may need to set the USB key up in here depending on a number unseen issues with your OS.

Let me know the above and i'll see what i can come up with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Soundman wrote: »
    Sounds like it has gone corrupt. I have had drives with the same symptoms before and that was the cause.

Do you eject the drives properly using Safely Remove Hardware before unplugging them?

Or do you just unplug it without doing anything?

I have found that on certain computers if I unplug one of my keys, it will corrupt all data on it even though I have the disk set up for Optimal Removal.

I don't think I've ever done the safely remove hardware thing for a USB key, and I've had the same two for a couple of years. I'm curious - how many people have actually had USB keys corrupt on them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 strjms72

i have never had that happen, but then again, i always safe remove them

Advertisement